Mas Adelante - Chapter Twelve

"I'm pregnant."

Ruby's eyes went wide, "what?"

Lola walked into his house, handing him the pregnancy test. "I'm pregnant, Ruby."

He felt like he was going to faint, his vision turning blurry. He counted to three, looking down at the test. "Oh God." He whimpered, "oh God, oh God."

She crossed her arms, watching him react.

"Is this a joke?" He hyperventilated, taking in short, sharp breaths.

She shook her head. "No."

"Is it mine?"

"I was on the pill with Angelo, you're the only one I didn't take care of myself with."

He sat, "oh goodness, God? Big man up there? Tupac?" He looked up at the ceiling, "I'm coming for you 'Pac."

"So what are we doing?"

"What?" He took in a panicked breath, his face worried.

"I either get an abortion or I keep it and you die."

"I—" Ruby groaned, "Lola!"

"What?" She chuckled, "I'm serious Ruby."

"You can't say that to me!" He exclaimed, "are you trying to give me nightmares?"

She shook her head, "Ruby, I'm scared."

"Well, shit so am I!"

Lola swallowed, taking to her feet. "I guess since this is just a joke to you, I'll leave."

"It's not a joke to me." He stood as well, "we're like twelve years old!"

"Whatever man." She rolled her eyes, "I have to go try on prom dresses."

"Prom?" His eyes widened, "you're pregnant!" He whisper-shouted, "and you're thinking about dresses!"

"Yes fool, Oscar's taking me."

He ignored what she said, still on the subject of her being pregnant, "how do you know the birth control didn't work with Angelo?" He exclaimed, "I can't be the father, I was a virgin!"

She squinted her eyes at him, tilting her head. "You know, for someone who's really smart you're kinda dumb."

"No!" He groaned, "I mean..." he stomped his foot a couple of times, whining. "Lola, I don't want to die yet!"

"Fine!" She took a step back, "I won't say anything, just figure your shit out." She opened the door, "call me when you do, Oscar's waiting for me outside." She swung the door open and Oscar appeared with an angry look on his face, his nostrils flared.

"Seriously?" He said.

Ruby hid behind the couch, almost sobbing as he prayed for forgiveness.

"What?" Lola chuckled, raising an eyebrow.

"You're making me wait in the hot ass sun. I got shit to do, Cuchillos ya me está chingando la madre."

"Well, we can't reschedule. So Cuchillos can suck a dick."

Oscar rolled his eyes, "how bout you wait three years til your own damn prom?"

"How bout you stop being a hating ass–"

"Guys!" Ruby said, clearing his throat nervously when they both turned around. "I um..."

Oscar raised his eyebrows, folding his arms over his chest.

He thought quickly, his eyes darting across the room a couple of times. "What color tie am I wearing for the quince?"

Lola smirked, "pink!" Then she took Oscar's hand, pulling him through the door. "Come on dad, we're gonna be late!"

He chuckled, stomping behind her. He knew she was joking when she called him 'dad' because she said it in her little kid voice, she uses it to get what she wants. It works every time, he simply couldn't say no to her

She waved at ruby who shut the door when she was in the car.

Oscar started the Impala, taking off down the street.

"I want to talk to you about something hermanita."

Lola shook her head, reaching for the volume button. "After this song."

Oscar sucked his teeth as she sang, snapping her fingers to the beat of the song. "Summer days just sitting around but when the sun goes down—hey!" She exclaimed, glaring at her brother who had turned the music off.

"I'm serious Lolita."

"Fine." She sunk back into the seat, "habla."

He sighed, his eyes on the road. "I'm trusting you mana, to go with this vato to this stupid ass dance. Don't make me regret trusting you okay?"

She nodded, "I won't, don't worry so much man." She teased, "te van a salir canas."

He side glanced at her, "I don't want no sneaking around shit, you feel me?"

She giggled, smiling widely at him. "Would I do that?"

He shook his head softly, making a wide turn as he set his turn signal on. "I know you wouldn't betray me lil mama. I've just been thinking about giving you a lil more freedom, have some home boys or something."

She raised her eyebrows, exhaling.

"I just don't want you messing with the wrong person and ending up pregnant or something you know?"

"Oh." She scoffed softly, her face going serious as she thought about her current situation. "What would you do if I ended up.. you know?"

"Nah." He chuckled deeply, "I don't even wanna think about that." He mumbled the last part, pulling into the parking lot of a dress store. "You need me to go inside with you?"

She nodded, "I want you to help me pick my dress."

He groaned, his head falling back into the seat. "You know I don't know nothin' about that."

His whining made her smile. "Hurry!" She dragged out, opening the door, letting it fly shut behind her as she ran toward the door.

Oscar shut the car door, locking it before he followed her inside with a scowl.