Part One | Chapter 1: The Big Apple

PART ONE | R E N

PART ONE | R E N

____________________

Chapter 1: The Big Apple

• 𓎬 ☼ 𓋹⋅☾𓂀 ☽⋅𓋹 ☼ 𓎬 •

Leslie I

2005 – New York City

When her parents said her new roommate was coming today: they meant New Year's Eve. That was today.

The second year of university arrived a few months ago for Leslie Carter. She was so caught up on schoolwork and shifts at the hospital (alongside dress shopping) that she had forgotten all about her new roommate. The brownstone hadn't had a deep clean since she first arrived at her old family home - which was in the middle of a refurbishment.

Therefore, she was sent into a whirlpool of panic and began tidying the whole place, making sure there was enough room in the empty bedroom her roommate would be sleeping.

The middle floor hadn't been emptied, leaving old 1920s and 60s furniture and boxes filled with vintage clothes. Leslie hoped that her roommate wouldn't mind the mess. And hearing that she was, in fact: a historian and a woman that dressed in all different eras; Leslie believed she would appreciate the haul.

The woman that was coming to stay for several months was around her age. She was the daughter of one of the most prestigious families across the UK. Something along the lines about being related to the Duchess of Cornwall was mentioned whenever her grandfather spoke about it. He knew nothing else apart from this, knowing that her great grandfather knew more about the Bates and Darcys.

But to Leslie's quick research and foreknowledge, she knew the Darcy family had a reputation for history and archaeology, despite her career being as far from her family roots. She was impressed by how they came so far from nothing. They were rich but didn't flaunt it as much as the Carters - specifically herself. Leslie liked things all new and shiny and admired the new technologies coming out every year.

With the hoover nozzle on one hand and pair of headphones on her head, Leslie danced around the living room, removing dust and dirt from the carpet. Her cat, Leo, sat idly on the sofa, cleaning himself quietly. At least having a cat didn't need any level of guilt with her mess.

Once Leslie agreed to herself that she was done, she turned off the hoover with a deep sigh – hearing the gentle purrs to her side.

She smiled and said, "Well at least you're enjoying your day, boy." Unplugging the socket, she began putting away the cleaning essentials. "God. What was Dad thinking of telling me this soon?" Leslie rubbed her forehead softly.

Leo meowed.

She tugged her hair tightly, red locks tied back in a ponytail before entering the main hallway. There was a small cabinet in which held her keys and a little plant on the table. She looked at herself in the mirror on the wall and tried to form some recognising smile.