Chapter 6: First Night

• 𓎬 ☼ 𓋹⋅☾𓂀 ☽⋅𓋹 ☼ 𓎬 •

Larry IV

2006 - New York City

Once he returned to the museum that evening, he found Cecil, Gus and Reginald waiting for him in the security office.

Cecil gave him some uniform - new and fresh and luckily it fitted him nicely. It was a grey-blue uniform, with matching jacket and trousers. The museum crest and name stitched on the top front and sleeve of his jacket.

His new black shoes squeaked under his footsteps as he followed the three old men to the main entrance, dressed up for the cold. Larry face them, rolling against his heels as Cecil rummaged through his bag.

"Let me see..." Cecil trailed off but quickly spoke back once his hand took out several items. "Keys, flashlight. You'll wanna strap those to your belt."

"Right." Larry gave them a confused look but didn't question the older man's statement.

An odd mysterious look formed onto Cecil's face, as well as Gus and Reginald's as well. That didn't really ease Larry's concerns on the expressions and running thoughts. What made it seem as if his flashlight and key were the holy grail of the job?

"It can get a little spooky around here at night..." Cecil emphasized. "So, you might want to put a few lights on."

Nodding, Larry gestured for his flashlight. "All right then," He said.

The older man handed him the two things, as well as an old roll of paper. It looked so old so Larry could feel it almost crumble on his fingertips. He eyed it with caution before letting his eyes ask Cecil.

Cecil spoke, "The instructions manual."

"Instructions?"

Gus interrupted, stepping close to Larry with a hard gaze. "You start with one, two, three..."

"Four?" Larry butted in, refraining to crack a smirk.

"Are you cracking wise?" Gus snapped back, eyebrows furrowed in a mixture of surprise and anger. "I ought to punch you in the nose, hopscotch."

Reginald calmly answered, "Leave him alone, Gus." The man then turned to Larry. "You've got it covered, right Larry?"

"Yeah, yeah." He replied, and added: "I mean Rowen's in so if I forget some things, I'm sure she'll know."

He silently regretted mentioning Rowen in front of Cecil as he watched Cecil's eyes hardened at the mention of her name. Though, Larry sighed internally when he quickly changed and moved towards Larry.

Cecil's hand rested upon his shoulder, and his blue eyes searched his face. "Larry, do them in order, do them all and do them quickly." The tone of his voice gripped Larry's ears. "And the most important thing of all to remember. Don't let anything in...or out."

"Out?"

Question revelled around his mind. He already heard two people tell him about the same thing, and that had been to be careful of museum artefacts leaving the premises. What did they mean about that? Is someone going to steal an artefact?

Cecil patted his shoulder before he stepped past him. "Good luck, son."

Gus and Reginald repeated the gesture and his voice trailed quietly, "Night, Gus. Reginald."

As the sound of revolving doors slowed down, Larry watched the trio disappear into the cold night. He stared down at the sheet of paper clenched around his fists. Carefully rolling it out, he could clearly see how many times the three have used it. Most of the ink was beginning to fade, with odd splodges of brown and red stains in the corners.