Chapter 13: Name on Paper

• 𓎬 ☼ 𓋹⋅☾𓂀 ☽⋅𓋹 ☼ 𓎬 •

Rowena XIII

2006 - New York City

Rowena held her breath.

A voice spoke from the end of the table, "Well, with the... unexpected advertisement you handled last week, Dr Bates: you seemed to increase the income of visitors."

She kept her head straight, directly towards the woman in the deep red suit. The woman's hair was slicked back, with matching lipstick on her lips. It almost levelled with Rowena's own, which took her two days to fuss over and change it. Watching the head governess of the American Museum of Natural History, Rowena could sense a moment of thought across the woman. She flicked through her notes, pursing her mouth.

Dr Micarah Campbell waited for to respond to her compliment, which Rowena exhaled: "Actually, you'll have to thank the director, Ms Hutman and Mr Daley." In the corner of her eye, she sensed Richard wanting to snort out loud but remained professional. "They stepped forward the idea to which I agreed to. And as a member of this board, I took the risk of applying it for a night..."

She trailed off to take a quick pan around the room.

Everyone was hooked on her words.

She let out a small smile and couldn't resist feeling a little bit prouder than she should. Rowena added, "...Fortunately, it was a success."

There were several murmurs. And after a minute, the governess stood up straight, shoulders back as she kept her eyes focused on Rowena in front of her. Dr Campbell was a renowned Egyptologist and Historian, having made front lines in every news for the past two decades. Having found various temples and mummies during her time, the woman laid back from the public just a few years ago and began running as a governess for the Smithsonian and New York Museums.

There was an air of respect when it came to Rowena, which irked her slightly how someone could hold the room so easily with a confident yet soft voice. "Therefore, we would like to agree with your proposition." Dr Campbell answered.

Rowena's heart lurched.

Dr Campbell continued, "We will continue our funds to the American Museum of Natural History, allowing the expansion of new exhibits as well as the connecting project with New York University. As well as that, I suppose an agreement to extend your stay in America will be needed." A small smile escaped the governess' lips and Rowena could not help but bow her head down.

Richard next to her wasn't hiding his surprise at all and coughed before answering back. "Thank you, we're glad about this outcome." He added quickly, "And we would not let you down."

Dr Campbell nodded. "We know you won't Dr McPhee, Dr Bates. We hope to see a great result of your project in the future."

When they got out of the building and onto the steps, Rowena couldn't rub off the grin on her face. She felt like a little girl again, happy and free after something went right for the first time. Her feet seemed a little bit lighter than usual as she skipped down the steps, whilst Richard trudged behind, shoulders and chest up and strong. She then turned around and stopped.

He nonchalantly stated, "I think we did a good job." It earned him a roll in the eyes from herself, as she placed a hand over his shoulder.

"Of course, you did." She calmed herself down and replied. "I'm proud of you, Richard. Your speech was lovely."