19

"In short, Picasso was regarded as one of the most influential artists of the time - thanks to his daring capabilities and bold use of colour - something the population hadn't seen much of until him."

Michael leans back against his desk, eyeing his circle of students as he continues. 'Groundwork' he calls it. Though Michael is evidently the type of teacher to leave his students to their own devices, today he's choosing to give an introduction.

It's the third class back following Christmas break, and Sophie and Harry have yet to say a word to one another. Harry can't refrain from shooting her the occasional glance, and frankly, Sophie can't refrain from doing the same. It's back and forth - relentless silence.

"Picasso painted in a naturalistic manner through his childhood and adolescence," Michael continues, "his greatest pieces consist of Guernica, and Les Demois d'Avignon-"

"Demoiselles." A quiet voice interrupts.

Michael falls silent, turning his head to follow the sound, as the rest of the class does.

Harry doesn't realise he's spoken up and corrected him until the silence becomes deafening.

"What, Harry?"

Everyone's eyes are on him, including Sophie's, and he can feel his cheeks beginning to burn. This is the first time Sophie has heard a word from him since their return to school.

"It's, uh.." he bites his lip, knowing he has to follow through, "it's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon."

Sophie's lips involuntarily quirk up into a half smile, as she forces herself to look down at her lap. Three months ago Harry wouldn't have dared to speak in a room full of people - and despite the fact it was accidental this time - it proves that his guard isn't so firmly up. 

"Thank you, Harry," Michael has a small smile on his face, as he nods genuinely at Harry, who looks like he wants the floor to open up and swallow him whole.

As Sophie looks up, she sees Harry staring profusely at the floor as if debating his entire existence, and she sees Layla staring at him as if she's ready to pounce on him. Sophie tries her best not to roll her eyes, bringing her lip between her teeth.

"My point still stands," Michael continues, "Picasso wasn't afraid to rebel against societal conventions; to break what was considered the 'norm'. Picasso was bold. And that's what I want you guys to be."

Michael pauses, eyes gleaming as he scans over the circle, before continuing, "Your next piece needs to be loud. Big. And so you'll be partnering up."

Harry's heart drops to the pit of his stomach, as does Sophie's. Layla sits back in her chair, a wide smirk on her face as she glances at Harry, prepared to ask him to partner up with her.

"I'll be choosing your pairs, before you all get excited. Pilar with Jason, Becca with Rosie.." He continues, pairing up members of the class with others. 

"Layla with.." he looks around in thought, glancing at the left side of the circle, "Serena. Harry, you go with Sophie."

And for the second time, Harry's heart drops to the pit of his stomach - as does Sophie's. The dreaded conversation is now officially unavoidable. 

"Class dismissed. Knock it out of the park," Michael claps his hands together, as the bell sounds and everybody stands up. 

"Harry-"

"Harry-"

Both girls pause, as Harry stands up, glancing between the two of them, unsure of what to do. Sophie's eyebrows raise, and she does her best not to scoff, and Layla rolls her eyes, sending Sophie a glare.