2 - GOOD MOURNING

Early the next morning the artistic golden sun rose up to paint the dark, black sky a wonderful blue. The milky clouds were awoken by dawn's first light and began to travel around the sky, visiting every aspect of their wonderful environment that was Asgard's sky. This was Beira Edwindottir's favourite time of day, and once Skadi had been born it became her favourite time as well. The mother and daughter often would often watch the sun rise in the morning and then later watch it fall into the night. They found it peaceful.

Fresh crispy air started to whistle like an invisible ghost over the realm, and the majortity of species of birds fluttered from their nests to stretch their wings and sing their morning melody upon branches and balconies. The gardens stood beautiful and lushish, flowers in bloom all over ─ courtsey of the Horae goddesses and their seasonal powers ─ and the strong brown branches danced, welcoming the brand new day with much excitement; the delicate and countless green leaves whispered to each other about their morning plans.

The morning seemed so calming on this day that even Skadi Ullrdottir was in unusual high spirits, despite the predicament on hand with her mother. After speaking with Loki the day before and deciding that he was right, that she shouldn't give up on hope ─ that her mother could still rise up and fight her illness, she was going to do just that. So she pushed aside every dark and sad thought from her mind and filled them with beautiful memories instead, ones that made her happy.

She had woken early to get to the kitchen and prepare her mother a breakfast tray, a tray that was displayed in her arms as she walked down the many halls. It carried fresh strawberries, which she had taken time to pick herself, an arrangement of cheeses, some crispy and juicy, sizzling bacon and even some nice calming tea, such a strange combination to anyone else, but these three foods and beverage are only one of the many things in life that brings her mother joy. And as a woman fighting between life and death, Skadi believed that her mother deserved to eat whatever she wants.

Arriving outside the large, golden doors, Skadi balanced the tray on her left arm and used the other to push open the door. She peeked her head in and stared directly at the bed where she found her mother still asleep, which caused her to smile. It would be a nice wake up call, Skadi decided as she closed the door behind her and began to approach the bed. She set the tray down on chest at the end of her parents bed before heading towards the balcony. Her mother always did love the fresh morning air.

After opening up the balcony doors to allow the soft breeze to enter the room, the daughter of winter approached the bed with soft steps and a smile upon her face. She sat down and took her mother's hand. "Good morning, mother," she said, reaching forward to brush strands of platinum-blond from her mother's slim face. Her mother didn't move after she spoke, so she tried again, speaking louder this time.

"Mother," she sang happily, "I've brought you breakfast. Come on now, you must eat so you can take your medicines."

When her mother didn't respond again, all of Skadi's happiness seemed to vanish all together. Her heart began to race in fear and she sucked in a sharp breath. Her wide, fearful eyes stared at her mother's chest for several moments and not once did she see it rise and fall. Her hands began to tremble. Leaning down, Skadi decided to press her ear against her mother's torso, listening closely for a heartbeat. One, two, three, four ─ a full minute of absolute stillness passed by, causing the daughter to rise up and heave out a sob from her trembling lips.

"No, no, no, no," she continued to sob while cupping her mother's face in her hands, shaking her desperately as if that would cause her heart to start beating again. But even that didn't work because Shiva was dead and there was no bringing her back, no matter what Skadi tried to do.

"Somebody help! Please! Help me!" The pleading screams that escaped her lips hurt her throat but Skadi didn't seem to care about that pain, for her heart was taking on a new one that made her feel like she couldn't even breathe. By now, hot tears had begun to roll down her cheeks as she shook her mother, pleading to every God in the universe to bring her back to life or to at least allow her heart to restore motion for a few more moments so that she could say a proper good-bye. So that she could hear her mother say those four words to her one more time.