10 - FORMER GLORY

The kingdom of Odin Allfather was in ruins.

Winter has shrouded everything the eye could see in blankets of ice and snow. Frost painted over the gold, the sky had been swallowed by a sickly gray clouds, icicles dripped from every edge, and there were heaps of snow built up along the exterior walls. With one glimpse at the realm, one would assume they have abandoned it for ages, for there wasn't a person in sight, all likely huddled up inside by a warm fire. Skadi Ullrdottir had never felt more ashamed of herself.

They moved in silence through the vacant streets, trekking through the heavy snow with their cloaks wrapped around them. Loki kept glancing over his shoulder at Skadi, who trailed behind him and Thor with Sif at her side. She refused to go anywhere near him after what happened in the woods. He understood that she feared the power she possessed, but Loki knew that had been an accident and she would never harm him. Skadi would harm no one. Her soul was too pure.

When they arrived at the throne room, Skadi froze. She panicked, a million scenarios coursing through her mind. She could hear voices on the other side of the door. Voices she recognized and knew belonged to people she cared for and had scared. Her breathing was uneven. She wanted nothing more than to be back in the cavern deep in the woods, far from the people she had disappointed and harmed. But a hand clasped her own, putting her mind at ease as and she felt a comfortable warmth spread to her heart.

Loki offered her a smile, seeming to have read her thoughts. "You can do this."

"We'll be right here with you," said Sif, placing a soothing hand on Skadi's back.

Thor pushed open the doors and at once, everybody inside the throne room turned to look at them. Their eyes found Skadi Ullrdottir, who walked between Loki and Sif, blue eyes full of shame and sorrow. They paused at the bottom of the stairs, peering up at Odin who sat perched upon his throne in silence.

Skadi met his gaze and her fear seem to spread like wildfire through her veils when she saw the emotionless expression on the king's face. She wasn't sure if that was a bad thing or a good thing as she got down on her knees before him and bowed her head in shame. "Forgive me, my King. I know that I─"

"Rise," Odin interjected.

Skadi lifted her head, eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she stared up at him. "Your Majesty?"

"Rise," Odin repeated.

With reluctance, puzzled and scared of what he had to say, Skadi rose to her feet. She fastened her hands out in front of her to keep them from trembling at her sides.

"As a king, I should be capable of recognizing my mistakes. And it has come to my recent attention that I should not have rushed your coronation," Odin began after a moment, shocking many, most of all Skadi herself. "You should not have taken on such important duties while grief consumed you still. That is of my fault, though, Skadi, it falls upon your shoulders as well. If you are to rule among the Horae and maintain winter at perfect balance, you must learn to separate your emotions from duty and power, as all rulers must. Therefore, I have decided that I will not charge you with any crime against Asgard, and I will not strip you of your position and power."

Skadi's eyes widened. Walking back into Asgard, the woman had thought he was going to strip her of everything that made her a Horae goddess. But her king had taken mercy on her. She was grateful, albeit surprised.

"What you have done was an accident, and accidents can teach us a lesson," Odin continued. "Have you learned your lesson, Skadi?"

Skadi nodded. "Yes, I believe I have learned it well. What I did to our home will never happen again, of that I vow to you, my King. I will learn to control who I now am, no matter how long it may take."