Chapter 20

Monday

"Harper!" someone called for me as I was walking down the hallway to my locker.

I turned around and saw Jake running up to me.

"Hi." I said and put my books in the locker. I wonder what he wants. Note the sarcasm.

"Can I borrow your History notes? We have an exam on Wednesday, so..." he said.

"I know. I have it too." I replied.

"Great." he said and looked at me expectantly.

"No, Jake. You can't borrow it, I have to study as well." I clarified the situation to him.

"Oh, right." he laughed. "Well, can I at least take pictures of it?" he asked.

"Uhm, yeah, I guess. But there's a lot." I shrugged.

"Let me buy you a drink while I'm doing it, is that cool?" he asked.

If I say no, I'll never get rid of him.

"Fine. But I can't stay long, I need to study." I made sure to stress the last part.

"Yeah, me too." he chuckled.

We walked out of the school. "I drove here." he informed me and took me to his car.

Jake was a high school jock. Also, my classmate who never spoke to me unless he needed something. I hate it when people only use me. But I don't say anything because I don't have the heart to do so and I don't want bad blood between us while we're still in school.

We hopped into his car and we drove off.

"So how did you do last week? In Maths?" he asked.

"A." I replied.

"Of course, you're the smart one." he chuckled.

"I guess." I replied and stared out the window.

Jason hasn't called nor texted me since the fight and I missed him. I didn't exactly try to reach out to him either but he left me. He should be the one to make the first step.

I ordered a glass of lemonade once we got to the café I and Jason usually go to and I took my History notes out of my bag.

"Thanks." Jake said and started taking pictures of my notes.

I glanced at the clock and it was almost 2 P.M. already.

I was sipping on my drink and man, Jake sure took his time. I got a feeling our exam on Wednesday will be already history before he finishes.

10 minutes went by and he was only snapping pictures of half a page at a time. Was he using a toaster? Get a better phone.

I was irritated.

My phone screen lit up and I got a text message from Jason.

"Even though you made me act out of character, this isn't going anywhere so I'm breaking the ice. I'm sorry ☹️
I shouldn't have yelled at you but my past is a delicate thing.
Anyways, I'm headed to the café now and I would love it if you could stop by on your way from school, I'll drive you home 😊"

He wrote me a novel. I felt so bumped after I read it, I really wanted to talk it through.

"Are you done?" I asked Jake impatiently.

"Yep." he said and gave me back my notes.

"I didn't really need your notes." he said.

"What?" I asked confused.

"I like you, Harper Thompson." he said and all of a sudden he was kissing me with his tongue.

I was so surprised I couldn't even react at first but I managed to push him off.

I looked at him with disgust and then checked if anybody saw us.

"Jason!" I exclaimed and ran after him, I didn't care that I made everybody's heads snap towards me.

"Leave me alone." he snapped and sent me the dirtiest look ever.

Crap, my things!

I ran back to the café and grabbed my phone and my bag.

"Harper, what was that?" Jake asked surprised.

"First of all, don't you ever, ever dare to kiss me again or come anywhere near me and second of all, my last name is Tomlinson, not Thompson, you retard!" I said through gritted teeth and ran out.

I called Jason but I got straight to voicemail.

"Jason, this wasn't what it looked like, I swear. I can explain everything, please call me back." I left him a message.

I went to the mechanic's and his boss told me that Jason already left an hour ago and wasn't coming back that day.

I went to the park next and he wasn't there either. I tried calling him but I got straight to the voicemail again.

"Jason, I don't like this guy, I didn't even want to kiss him, call me back." I left him another message.

I sighed frustrated and rubbed my eyes.

I saw some of his friends walking towards the park and I ran up to them.

"Hey, is Jason coming today?" I asked them.

"And you are?" one of them asked.

"Harper." I replied.

"I don't know about Jason but we're here." he smirked and I rolled my eyes at him.

"I'm serious." I said.

"Me too." he replied and passed the ball to some other guy, then started approaching me.

"I gotta go." I said but he grabbed me by my arm. "Let go of me." I hissed and kicked him in the balls.

I ran away as fast as possible.
I could see my bus in the distance and I ran like hell just to catch it. I wanted to get home at that fucking instant.

"Hey, Harper!" Mark greeted me cheerfully.

"I got molested today. Twice. By two different guys! Physically!" I complained at the edge of tears.

"Was one of them Jason?" dad asked.

"No!" I snapped and glared at him.

"Well calm down, what happened?" Mark asked concerned.

"I don't want dad to hear it." I said and glared his way.

"Hey, if someone's molesting you then I want to know." he said and looked at me sternly.

"Yeah, unless it's Jason, right?" I asked.

"Come." Mark said and he went upstairs, me following close behind him.