Guests

Shelby walked back into the reception hall, running his fingers through his damp hair, shivering as the last bit of chill from the unruly storm faded from his skin. The last hundred leagues of riding had been tough, gruelling even, as the winds whipped rain in torrential amounts at the group of riders as they had made their way ahead of the main royal procession.

 Thunder and lightning had crashed, centred around his City, his Keep, in an frighteningly uniform manner. Even Cavin had stopped on the road and whistled when they were finally in sight, seeing the bright white flashes striking out at the stone walls of Shelby's home. The ominous feeling of that sight this morning had only increased when the storm abruptly stopped and began to dissipate as they rode into the city. There was something more to this day and though Shelby was not superstitious, he felt a charge to the air beyond the thrill of being home.

He hadn't had time to ask his brother about it but judging from the worried, tired look on the young man's face when Cavin had jokingly mentioned it, Shelby had a sinking suspicion that Samyel was somehow involved. If anyone could be involved in the creation of a thunderstorm, that was. But that was impossible, people didn't control the weather. It was a coincidence. Had to be.

"You look like the quick shower and change helped you as much as it helped me, Shel." Cavin grinned to him as he walked up, his clothing casual for the informal greeting they would be having this afternoon.

"My liege." Shelby bowed to his king, then offered a tired grin as the man gave him a look of disgust at the formality. "Though we got a pretty decent wash down on the ride up."

Cavin raised a brow as he nodded slowly, remembering the ride. "Yeah. That was odd. I've never seen weather like this. It makes me wonder if the old histories I found in the palace libraries. Do you think its possible for someone to have enough power to do something like that? I mean, us humans can barely heal the wounded, but the fey? That much destruction, lurking in the dark corners of the woods?"

There was a soft, weak sounding squeak from behind them, causing them both to turn and regard a very pale, very nervous Samyel. Shelby's brother looked as if he were about to throw up, or cry, or possibly faint dead away as he watched them. It was about then that Shelby noticed that his hands  were clenched tightly around what appeared to be an intricate sword belt, wrapped around two small, thin swords.

"Lord Samyel." Cavin used a gentle, commanding voice as he regarded the young man, his frown deepening as Samyel lowered himself to one knee and ducked his head.

"My liege. I know its really not the time to address this, but we have a visitor that I've put in cells." He offered the sword bundle up, as if it were a gift to ensure his safety, as if he were pleading for his life.

Shelby frowned and glanced at his brother, then down the hall towards where his master at arms had just slipped in the doorway. The older man was grizzled and steady as always, but his expression was clouded by uncertainty, worry and a bit of anger as he walked forwards towards them.

"I don't know why that would be any of my concern, Lord Samyel." Cavin murmured, waving for Shelby to take the offered swords. As he sat down on the Lord's chair, his expression thoughtful. 

Cavin may have been dismissive, if only out of a desire to allow Shelby the chance to maintain control over his own affairs. But his long time friend was interested in what was unfolding. As curious as he was, looking from his king to where his brother knelt.

Shelby took the blades from his brother's hands, turning them over in his own as he unraveled the belt. He frowned as he recognized the design and craftsmanship as identical to the sword  that he carried with him.