Fear & Hate

Verana leaned against a tree on the edge of the forest, watching the river and the activity that was slowly starting to build across the water. The area immediately around the Star Stones was clear but not far behind them, the Humans had set up rows of temporary structures. Most of which contained roofs, two or three walls and tables filled with various goods.

 It was a temporary version of the Smith Street or Bakers Street inside Keepsal but there was an undercurrent emotion of celebration. Verana wasn't sure how the selling of things outside was any different than the every day pattern of Human lives but they enjoyed it.  They were joyous, laughing amongst friends, seeming to thrive in the close contact with strangers and acquaintances alike.

The amount of newcomers swelling the town overwhelmed her. Most amongst them, the armed men wearing various colours, which she had worked out to represent different houses, families or tribes. Some greeted one another with genuine friendship and companionship, others used formality to mask their distaste or dislike of one another but all of them appeared to respect the King's rules.

 Or they were forced to, with the King's guard walking or standing throughout the area, watching everything. Though the guards greeted people they knew with stoic nods, they remained sentinels surrounding everything. 

Sitting still in the river despite the strong current, was what Duke Oliver referred to his 'little racer', though it was bigger than any boat she had seen or used to cross water, with one tall pole in the centre that held a great deal of rope and fabric. 

Shaktay had told her that when the fabric was let loose, they used the wind to pull the ships along through the water. He had seen it from the cliffs of his part of the Wild, overlooking the ocean. He had also agreed with the Duke's thoughts that it was a small ship, saying he had seen some with three or four of those large poles, carrying dozens of people.

As if summoned by her thoughts, Shaktay slipped silently out of the woods to stand beside her, accompanied by two of his fighters. They were sisters born at the same time, that moved together as if they communicated in their minds. They were usually silent amongst others but Verana had trained with them for a winter and the firm nods and brief smiles they allowed her were more than most received.

 Verana returned the gesture and looked at Shaktay, raising one brow. "What's this?"

"I've been watching them, these Humans. As safe as it is, every single one of those men that lead the rest, they never walk alone in these crowds. Human law or not, they believe they need protectors and they are not you. " Shaktay offered, his eyes moving to the far shores, lifting his nose into the air, "and the food smells too interesting to not inspect further."

Verana thought about his words for a long moment before nodding slowly. She had noticed the difference herself. Even the King was surrounded with a large group of guards and usually both the Duke Oliver and Shelby as well. "We follow their Laws, Shaktay. Most humans react with a great deal of fear and distrust when they first see us."

He gave her a look that conveyed his annoyance at her caution. Her friend knew all this, they had spoken about it before. But he merely replied, " I would like to thank the woman who made me these blades. And these two want to see if she can make them blades, they're different than the other weapons. They had almost thought they would have to choose a different style."

"Alright. Miss Greylin is a friend. I will take you to her and then we'll find Mirabel's stall. Ben said they were both there and relatively close together. Have you learned any of  the Human language?" When Shaktay shrugged in his noncommittal manner, she was surprisingly relieved. He hadn't expressed a lot of faith in prolonged interactions with them and despite wishing her all the success on her test, believed the Council had given her something that would never be achieved. She wasn't entirely sure that he wouldn't snarl insults at anyone who tried to speak with him.