Chapter 16 - Too Hot to Handle

The black bear hybrid headed directly to the Abbot's quarters. He was obviously familiar with the way to get there, as he did not miss a single turn while running through the corridors.

There were not many monks still up and about in that area of the monastery at that time of night, but those that were, immediately made way for him while bowing their heads.

Finally, he reached the Abbots quarters. Without stopping, he burst through the door that had already been forcefully handled by Wukong earlier. With a loud cracking noise, the top half of the door detached from the wall to lean drunkenly at an angle.

"Oh! It's you, Master Black Wind! What a surprise, hahaha!" said the Abbot, as he flipped the velvet cloth over the revolver.

The Abbot had reacted quickly in his attempt to hide the revolver, but he had not been fast enough. A single glimpse of the revolver was enough to divert Black Wind's attention.

"What's that? Pass it over!" said Black Wind, as he barrelled forward, reaching for the cloth.

With surprising agility, the Abbot grabbed the revolver, still wrapped in the cloth, and rolled backwards. Somehow, he managed to extract the revolver from the cloth, then levelled it at Black Wind.

For a moment, both of them froze. The Abbot's face was set in a terrified grimace. Although cold sweat burst out across his forehead, his hands on the revolver were steady. Black Wind's eyes narrowed, gaze darting between the Abbot's face and the gun in his hand, all the while tensing and gathering strength in his furry legs.

At some unspoken signal, Black Wind charged forwards while flipping the table between them towards the Abbot. Almost reflexively, the Abbot pressed the trigger on the revolver.

BOOM!.The revolver went off, flew backwards out of his grip, and smacked him in the face. Stunned, his hands scrambled as he tried to recover the gun, but he was too late.

CRACK! Black Wind broke the Abbot's neck efficiently and easily. Having rid himself of the threat, he checked himself for any holes, before looking around. He spotted a hole that went completely through the heavy table he had flipped at the Abbot. He eyes opened wide as he broke out in cold sweat.

He had thought that the table would be enough to protect him. Who knew that it was so much more powerful than normal guns? Luckily, the Abbot missed!

After picking up the revolver, Black Wind studied it. When he saw the chambers in the cylinder, his eyes widened.

Six chambers? That meant six bullets! And it looked like it wouldn't need reloading between every single shot!

Grinning happily, he rushed back to his cave. This was a gift that was so much better than a double-barrelled pistol. He was sure to be promoted this time!

***

Darkness abated as dawn approached. A gust of wind parted the thin screen of smoke hanging over the area, revealing Wukong, breathing heavily while leaning on his quarterstaff, Trip still secured on his back. All around him were the broken bodies of the monks that had attacked his Mistress and himself. Some were sticking out of nearby walls or roofs. Some had pieces of wall or their weapons sticking out of them. Not a single one was left standing.

A soft noise caught his attention. Slowly, he walked over to a pile of bodies. Kicking over the topmost body, he revealed a weakly wheezing Brother Broad Wisdom. One of his hands was clamped over a wound in his chest that had the rear portion of the double-barreled pistol sticking out of it. His other arm was obviously broken, as were both his legs. Despite his condition, he glared at Wukong as though he would try to bite Wukong if only he had the chance.