Chapter 30 - Revelation Through Conversation

As they walked away from Gao Lang's courtyard, everyone could hear the grinding of Wukong's teeth. His expression was now full of wrath, his fist mashing into his other palm, demonstrating what he wanted to do to Gao Lang's face. Muttering under his breath, only a few words could be heard by the rest.

"How dare that... looking at my Mistress like... dig his eyes out and make him eat them... strangle him with his own intestines!"

Ignoring the rather ghoulish threats being levelled against his superior's grandson, Elder Mu turned towards Trip. His brow was furrowed in thought.

"Earlier, you mentioned the increasing infant mortality rates and the birth defects of the surviving children. Do you know how to stop it? A cure?"

"It's because of relatives marrying each other. The closer they are, the worse it gets, and it's carried over to the next generation. No cure I know of, but prevention is simple. Don't marry a relative!" said Trip.

"Could it be... that simple?" said Elder Mu, in a hoarse half-whisper. He looked almost like he had been hit in the head.

"Eh? But... Lord Gao always told us that it was a curse from not working hard enough, not supplying enough food to the Crimson Army. Once we met their requests, their demon sorcerers would dispel the curse." said Elder Jing.

"Father, even if the reason is simple, how to fix it won't be. Where are we going to find enough outsiders? All the surrounding villages for miles around were already absorbed so many decades ago!" said Gao Cai.

"Son," said Elder Mu, his hand on Gao Cai's shoulder, "we can't just give up. We'll just have to explore further!"

"I know of a place that might help. It's called the Monastery of LGS, about one week's worth of travel through the area of desolation. Ask for Brother Mender, tell them Sister Trip sent you."

"Monastery? But if they're monks, would they be able to...?" said Gao Cai.

"They're not THAT kind of monks, so yes, they can have families. Also, they have ties to other villages too. Maybe you could have some sort of festival or apprenticeship program, where your youth could meet each other." said Trip.

"That's a great idea! We should suggest it to Lord Gao at once!" said Elder Jing, clapping his hands delightedly, his voice raised in excitement.

"Wait, wait. Things... might not be so simple after all." said Elder Mu, who was staring intensely off into space. Snapping out of it, he looked at Elder Jing.

"Jing, do you remember, when we were little, when the Crimson Army first came? Lord Gao's father, our fathers, all the other elders, they were all executed. Because they were against the unification of villages. Could it be... they knew this would be the result?" said Elder Mu.

"Are you saying... this was... intentional? My daughter's babies, all stillborn... it was all because of... them?" said Elder Jing. Elder Jing, who had been like a good natured plum all along, had transformed into an angry chili. His fists were clenched tightly, his eyes were bloodshot, his face and neck were red, and he was trembling with rage.

"Jing..." Elder Mu grabbed Elder Jing by the shoulders, "control yourself! There's a chance Lord Gao has no idea about this! We won't know until we ask!"

"Ask? I'll ask him alright. I'll ask if he's ready to rebel against the Crimson Army!" said Elder Jing. His agitation had seemingly been compressed and concentrated, from a wild flame to a focused intense pool of molten lava.

"Good man! I've been itching for a fight! I'm with you!" said Wukong, giving Elder Jing a thumbs up.

"Let's settle the situation with Bajie and Gao Lang, and lay Gao Xin to rest first." said Gao Cai.