Chapter 35 - Let Your Actions Speak

In the relative silence that followed the collapse of the watchtower and the reptilian hybrid, Trip, Wukong and Bajie heard the panicked voice of Young Master Gao Lang.

"Wh...what are you doing? I'm warning you! You'd better-".

Young Master Gao Lang's weak protests were interrupted by the deadly sound of two crossbow bolts impacting their target.

THWOK! THWOK!

All that could be heard was Gao Lang's pained, desperate screaming.

Gao Shu and Gao Luan, Elder Mu's mother and his wife, were crouched before Gao Lang, who was sitting on the floor with his legs spread-eagled. Gao Shu looked cold and stern, while Gao Luan was almost trembling with rage, her eyes bloodshot and leaking tears. Both Gao Shu and Gao Luan, dressed in the same armour used by the guards, held crossbows. They had each shot a bolt into the spot in Gao Lang's lower body, where all men keep their family jewels.

Wukong and Bajie couldn't help but wince, shifting their hips protectively around their own family jewels.

Both Gao Shu and Gao Luan were eerily quiet, but they weren't done. Slowly, they reloaded their crossbows, taking their time, while Gao Lang screamed and screamed. Then, aiming carefully, reloading slowly every time, they shot him in his shoulders, his hips, his arms, then his feet, prompting fresh screams every time.

By the time they were done, Gao Lang resembled a bloody pincushion, a whimpering pile of meat that couldn't even scream anymore. Finally the two women shot him in the belly, then turned, leaving him to a slow, lingering death.

The two women walked down the stage to where Elder Mu stood, together with Elder Jing and Gao Cai. All three men were also dressed in guard armour and armed to the teeth. Gao Shu gave her son a stern nod, while Gao Luan buried herself in her husband's arms.

"It looks like we're too late to the party." said Elder Jing with a wan smile.

"It's okay. You tried." Trip gave a single approving nod.

Trip looked at Elder Mu. "Did you know Lord Gao would act this way?"

Elder Mu sighed. "I suspected, but I could never be certain. He was good at presenting a false front. One that people wanted... no, needed to see."

Elder Jing sighed also. "At least Gao Xin has been avenged. Who knew looking into her death would cause such havoc-"

"Actually, Jing, my son and I were hoping for something like this, with the help of Black Hat Trip here." said Elder Mu with a lopsided grin.

Trip raised an eyebrow. "You... knew?"

"Gao Cai recognized you immediately. I mean, there aren't many women who travel these dangerous lands without an escort, and that black hat stands out." Elder Mu gestured at Trip's hat. "To top it off, you introduced yourself as Trip, didn't cause any trouble, and looked like you were just trying to help right the unjust execution of an innocent, harmless demon like Bajie."

Gao Cai chimed in. "Didn't you think it was weird that I would just accept your offer to investigate, without any suspicion at all?"

Trip shrugged. "Figured I'd wait, let your actions speak."

Elder Jing looked deep in thought "But... the Head of Security described Trip as an evil bandit who pillaged and burned settlements, murdering people and delighting in blood..."

"What kind of evil bandit quietly walks into a village and immediately tries to right a wrong?" said a grinning Gao Cai.

Elder Mu nodded. "The only thing I gleaned from that description, was that Trip would be a formidable person. Maybe just formidable enough to shake things up in our village."

Elder Jing rubbed his chin. "... good point. I guess I should learn to trust my own observations-"

SHEEE-UUUU-EEEEET! BOOM...OOM...oom...oom

A firework shot up high in the sky, exploding so loudly that it echoed. A thick black trail of smoke led from the explosion, down to the entrance of the villa. There stood Lord Gao, cackling loudly, a bamboo tube in his hands.

-- Chapter 35, End --

Author's Note:

Constructive criticism, feedback, and comments are always welcome!

If you liked it, share it!