3 - Let's Dance

I don't actually know where this story is going, let's just hope for the best

1957, January
—————
"-but ya fuck one goat."

The class was entirely silent as we looked at the substitute in wonder. He held up a finger and nodded suggestively. No one reacted.

Then suddenly laughter erupted from the back of the classroom. I turned around and saw Paul holding on to his stomach and almost falling off his chair.

"Well at least someone got it." The young substitute said to himself. The bell rang and the boy kept laughing.

When I met him outside of the school he was telling the joke to another bloke. I stood in front of them for a while, listening to the story again, trying to understand it.

"And then, George, he said: But you fuck one goat." He giggled frantically and awaited the other boy's reaction.

"Who told you that one, Paul?" He asked with a smirk.

"That new one, Raymond." He pulled his book back tighter around his shoulder as he spoke.

The other boy chuckled and shook his head, letting his eyes fall onto me.

"Who's this one?" He pointed a finger and flicked his eyes to Paul.

"Oh, that's Ann. Sophia's." I gave him a quick wave and pulled a tight smile. The boy nodded and presented his fangs in a big grin.

"And this is George, Ann." Paul motioned for us to come closer. George raised his hand, I shook it and quickly pulled back. He was surprisingly intimidating.

"I'm getting my guitar at George's, would you like to come with?" He suggested. I nodded and we began walking down the street.
—————
Twenty minutes later I found myself in a strange boy's bedroom. I sat on the floor watching the boys play guitar on the bed.

They looked at each other's motions intently. They strummed and plucked and sometimes it turned out sounding good.

"How'd you do that last one?" Paul spoke.

"I don't know, just do it in barre." George answered.

"But I'm shit at barre." Paul complained.

The younger boy sighed. "I don't think we'll ever know how to play B7."

They grunted in unison and looked down at me.

"I don't know how to play B7." I said. "I don't know anything for that matter."

The boys chuckled and the elder stood up. "Should we head home then?" I nodded and stood up myself.

As we stepped out of the room a shaky voice came from within. "Lovely meeting you, Ann." And we were too far down the hall for me to respond.
—————
"And be good now." Mum bent down and kissed me on the cheek. Jim stood beside her and patted his son on the shoulder.

"Well, bye then. Have a nice night." Paul said as politely as possible beside me.

Mum grinned and studied us for a moment. Then she turned around and needled her arm through Jim's, and they walked out of the door together.

I looked to my side and noticed Paul already had gone to the radio cabinet. I followed the noice of channels coming in from all around and watched as he fiddled with the buttons. I sat myself down on the sofa and listened intently to the sounds erupting from the radio.