18 | Starman

1957, July
-----
The sun had already managed to break through the window of the guest room once I woke up.

I couldn't fathom it; the day of me and Paul's romantic union seemed to be just the top of a steep downhill. But the falling came to a halt in the evening, when I would be tossing him off (in a double bed, might I add).

Paul had been the little spoon for the night. My face was in the crook of his neck, and our hands were clamped together on his stomach. 

I was awake, and I had been for a while. Sadly, much sooner than wished, the door creaked open, so I quickly rolled over to my other side, startling the half-awake Paul.

"There's breakfast if you want any." My Aunt cautiously peaked her head through the door. I tiredly nodded and eyed Paul who had drawn the sheets up to his chin to protect his innocence. Aunt Lydia disappeared down the hallway.

I sat up and stretched before turning to the floor and picking my sweater up. I suddenly felt a pair of lips on my cheek making my whole body fluster. 

I smiled widely as I put on my sweater, but I should have expected that the owner of those lips wasn't too far away. Nevertheless, my elbow hit Paul right on the nose and he yelped in response.

"Shit, sorry!" I turned to him, putting my hand on his cheek instinctively. I pulled his head towards me to examine him. Our eyes met, and I had to blush. He looked so sweet. 

I held my gaze for a few seconds before I deemed the injury minimal, but it still made me feel guilty to think that I had caused him physical pain. 

"It's alright, Ann. No worries." Paul smiled cheekily. 

I bit my lip, reluctantly turning away to put on my stockings. "You could've just told me so if I'm so bad at kissing."

"Shut up. You know you're not." I was completely red when I looked over my shoulder to find he was still very half-naked. "And put some clothes on!"

"I'm planning on it!"
----
"You're going home today." My Aunt told us at breakfast, but Will persevered.

"No, we can't. Do you even know where Jim is?" Little pieces of ham flew out of his mouth as he protested.

Auntie rolled her eyes, gently placing down her knife. "Yes, in fact, I do. I rang him yesterday after you went to bed." Her glare bore into my brother's skull. "-as you should've, William."

Will bashfully looked down at his lap.

"He was very worried when he found that none of you was home." She clicked her tongue, flickering her eyes over our blank faces.

"You ought to leave as soon as possible." She was soon back to eating, leaving Paul and I staring at Will's reddened face.
----
"You made it sound like he'd gone mad!" I scolded my brother, my feet hitting the ground a little harder than usual.

"Because he sounded bloody mad. I was being completely logical!" William had stopped on the pavement to face me. "Look, if we go home and Jim beats you to death, don't blame me for not warning you."

I seethed, the gears in my head finally starting to turn. "Did you ever think he was just drunk?" I barked at him. All the while Paul stood beside me looking as if he was about to cry.

"A little... But even if you're drunk you can't say that about your own son."

"He's probably making up explanations so he won't go completely insane."

"He already is." William crossed his arms and looked away. His mind didn't seem to change.

I sighed heavily, taking a hold of Paul's arm. "Bloody hell," I muttered. "Go and find Rosie for all I care. We'll go and see Jim for ourselves."

Will rolled his eyes as I began dragging Paul down the street. I turned my head to find he had taken upon my suggestion. I tutted at the mere thought of my stupid brother. He had probably been over exaggerating, nearly scaring both me and Paul to death.

I was outmost and certainly fed up with him. I knew that Jim wouldn't turn against his own son, despite.
----
He was looming over us the second we stepped into the house. Jim's wide eyes scanned over our faces before he pulled Paul into a gentle side-hug. By the baffled look on Paul's face, I could tell he wasn't used to this sort of paternal affection. 

"Lydia explained it." He pulled away, flickering his eyes between us. "I apologise-"

He looked over my shoulder. "Where's..?"

I was too surprised at Jim's demeanour to answer him at first. Even though Aunt Lydia had reassured me pretty well, William had certainly planted a gruesome image in my head. 

"Uh... He had to meet Rosie somewhere." I said. Jim responded with a meagre nod.

I looked at Paul who was suckling his bottom lip. My feelings for him were incomprehensible at this point. We'd been "together" for 30 hours and I already felt like I could love him forever. At the same time, I felt guilty as if I had somehow put all of this bullshit upon his shoulders. 

I had to restrain myself from taking his hand. 

"Well, the kettle's on if you want any and..." A glimmer of pride struck Jim's eyes. "I baked some biscuits." 
----
We had situated ourselves in the kitchen. Paul and I had each our cuppa and a small platter of biscuits in front of us.

At the opposite side of the table sat Jim, watching intently as we gobbled down on the surprisingly nice goods. 

"It's like those biscuits mum made for Mike's birthday!" Paul exclaimed. I had never heard him mention his mother so gleefully before.

Jim couldn't have looked any more content with his life. He was resting his chin in his hand, smiling faintly. I wondered how long it would last. 

But it didn't matter. I just wanted to let him be sober and at home for a little while.

-----

Structured plot? I don't know her.