IX. ROMAN TRAGEDY

SCENA I.

[CURTAIN RISES]

(She lies underneath a palm tree and draws a line between her breasts, following the path of the shadows against her sunkissed skin. She lifts her gaze every now and then and you can almost see the Mediterranean sea in her eyes, you can almost taste the blueberry on her tongue, as you can almost smell the scent of cornflowers in the crook of her neck.)

LOVERBOY
Nothing is this world is free.
What do you believe the price of loving you will be?

LOVEBIRD
It is not a price, but a debt.
It is not a dream, but a curse.
It is not life, but death.

[CURTAIN FALLS]

SCENA II.

[CURTAIN RISES]

(He touches with caution the folds of a wrinkled paper and taints his fingertips with ink. The wind subtly asks his hair to dance with him and they engage in soft movements and careful steps. He daydreams, gets lost in his own reverie, and reads the paper with his hands, his eyes stuck staring at the ceiling.)

LOVERBOY
A man is only foolish when he believes in love as anything other than painful.
A man is only a man when he admits to being foolish.
And a man is only alive when admits to his own death.

[CURTAIN FALLS]

SCENA III.

[THE CURTAIN DOESN'T RISE]

(You can hear him; he's whispering "senza tentazioni, senza onore" over and over again. The room smells like fresh blood and roses. His voice grows tired, lost, faint. Then, there is silence. Silence that speaks afterlife, silence that feels like an embrace, silence that tastes like victory.)

[CURTAIN RISES]

(He lies on the cold floor surrounded by a pool of his own mortality, a knife carved with doves stabbed in his heart.)

LOVERBOY
Where there is no temptation, there is no glory.

[THE CURTAIN NEVER FALLS]