[ 四 ]

/ third person.

the girl was sitting alone in the messy classroom, waiting for the boy she was to be tutoring soon. she kept glancing down to her watch and back up to the door of the room. suddenly, a tall and attractive boy entered the classroom, causing suni to visibly gulp.

"hello, i'm hwang hyunjin. sorry, i'm late! i got a bit lost," his shy voice brightened suni's day just the slightest. "you're suni, right?"

she nodded her head slightly. "well... you are struggling in calculus?"

he chuckled nervously, rubbing the nape of his neck, "yeah, just a bit. actually, no... a lot."

she began to teach the boy, who happened to be pretty slow of a learner. 30 minutes later, they were still on the first question. "hyunjin... we literally have gone over this 17 times! you still don't understand?"

"i'm sorry, i just don't see how that makes sense..." he mumbles, feeling a bit bad that he had put suni in this. in his old school, he was the same. he got low grades and wasn't able to study as well as an average student.

"it's fine. i just haven't tutored anyone like you before," she says, trying to lighten the mood. he seemed to be in such defeat, which saddened suni. she liked how bubbly he was but calculus nearly slapped his joy out of him. "let me see... do you like music?"

"yeah, why?" he tilts his head, curiously. the girl was in possession of something no one else at his previous schools had. he didn't know what it was, but it was promising for him at the time.

"let's make this into a song. not a cheesy calculus song like old math teachers would write, but something good with a good beat and rhythm that can be easy for you to remember," she suggests, pulling her laptop out of her bag and starting to write down ideas and hum some melodies.

"for real?" he says, stunned at how this tutor worked. "i don't see how a calculus song could be 'not cheesy'."

"oh, you'll see! i like writing songs! i used to write songs for..." the girl's voice dropped. she was unable to function at the thought of the boy. hyunjin seemed to understand, though, and was seeking for anything that could make her smile again. he didn't expect an explanation and didn't urge her to answer his unanswered questions about her in his head at the moment.

hyunjin began singing the formulas and postulates, causing suni to snap out of her sad trance. she couldn't help but notice how beautiful his voice was. "that's so good!" she smiled widely, almost forgetting the other boy, making hyunjin so happy.

they began singing about the calculus lesson and laughed together. right then and there, suni knew her wishes had been granted. she couldn't be any more grateful.

it was so true.

that some people make your laugh a little louder, your smile a little brighter, and your life a little better.

author's note: by the way, the ex boyfriend will continue to be anonymous! i didn't like imagining kpop idols like douchebags. so yeah!