Chapter 9 Pride before a fall

The tunnel opened up into a gigantic cavern. There was a wide area near the entrance but it quickly thinned into a narrow path, that hanged perilously from the ground below,  to a large circle area In the centre with some sort of basin on it. The roof was a sort of dome shaped with a large hole where light entered through it.  "wow...this place sure is big" commented Tema as he looked "I wonder how far it is down" he looked over the edge "that's a long way down" he retreated back. It was more or less a plain open area except for a large basin of some sort. "well, I don't see the Falconian anywhere"

"Neither do I" Nikistasia replied

"Well let's go to the middle and hope we can find its egg"  with caution they ventured cross the narrow path and made it towards the open area with the large brownish hard-like Basin.

They clambered inside the basin which was very soft and warm as it was littered with feathers but it had nothing in it. Sitting down Tema pondered "well this is as far as we can go"

"But I don't see anything"

Tema laid back "maybe we took a wrong turn some...ow where?" he hit something hard in the basin "What did I hit my head on? Let's just brush these feathers...hey it's the egg help me dig this out" after a moment "Wow...this is one big egg" the egg was 3 - 4ft tall

"I wonder how big the mother is?" asked Nikistasia

 "Well I can tell you exactly how big it is just look up" above them was a flying creature of some sort descending on them through the hole in the roof "out of the basin NOW!!!" they both ran out of the basin to the open area outside just as the creature landed on the basin.

Tema was able to see the features of the Falconian. It was a very large 4-legged bird about as tall as a house. It was covered in golden-brown feathers and had  giant black wings still spread with a piercing glare coming from its eyes.  "why have you come here!?" Tema could hear the voice but the creatures lips didn't move,

"Nikita did you say anything?"

"It wasn't me it's the Falconian...it's talking to us with its mind" the Falconian walked out of the basin

" Speak WHY have you come here!?"it stood up on its hind legs and pounded the ground  causing the ground to shake. 

The shaking caused Nikistatia to fall over  and Tema stood facing the bird "My friend back home has been poisoned and we were told only you could save her"

"well your journey was in vane now leave this place"

"I'm afraid I can't do that" the voice came from behind them "My boss gave me orders to take what he needs and I can't stay, I mean return without it"

"What the? What are you doing here?"  said Tema. The hulk of a man was as tall and muscular as ever with his spear in hand. He was oddly covered in scrapes and dirt as he smiled at Tema

"oh my brother in arms, you remember me do you ,the great Draconian. I had to make a new hole since the last one was too small. Any way I'm under orders to take her eggs"

"Her eggs ?" Tema asked

"They're supposed to have a unique power anyway come on were waiting for you"

"who's that? Do you know him?" inquired Nikistasia

"the first time I met Lucile she was fighting this guy"