Chapter 5: First Kisses Are (Sometimes) The Sweetest

*Dante's POV*
~5th Grade~

"The internet called you gay?"

Garroth studied me, crossing his arms. Normally this would be a thing I confided with Travis in. But, I don't think he knows how to help me. Besides, he can barely talk about his own feelings towards people, how can I expect him to help me? That only left me with three options: Gene, Garroth, and Vylad.

Judging by how my mother acted, Gene probably would've acted the same. I definitely couldn't talk to Vylad about this, since he was the reason behind these weird, unnatural feelings in the first place. So, that left me with Garroth being my only option.

I need more friends.

"Yeah! I looked it up, and they said if I like-like boys, then I'm 'probably gay'."

"I know what 'gay' means Dante, I'm not stupid. Older kids at my old school used to make fun of me by calling me that, for some reason I don't know. But, you like-like boys?"

"I think! But, I'm just a kid! I don't know anything!" I crossed my arms as well, puffing out my cheeks, and leaning against the nearest locker. "But, I think I like girls too. So, I'm conflicted."

"Oo~ What are we talking about?"

A small, black-haired girl popped up beside Garroth. She had a purple backpack strung around her shoulder, and a smile so big it made up for her short stature. She reminded me of an even more effeminate version of Vylad.

"Who are you?" I asked, out of curiosity.

"My name's Aphmau!" The girl giggled, rocking back-and-forth on her heels. "Me and Gar' are best friends, right Gar'?"

Aphmau hung on Garroth's arm, smiling up at him. I watched as his face got really red, and he scratched the back of his head. Wait..."best friend"?

"I thought I was your best friend, Garroth?" I pouted my lip, huffing.

"You can have more than one best friend!" Garroth defended himself. "Travis is your best friend too, right?"

"I never said you were my best friend. I just said I was your best friend," I teased, as Garroth glared hard at me.

"You're mean. I'm not your friend, anymore," he huffed.

"Fine! Whatever! I don't care," I stuck my tongue out at him.

"And that means you can't be friends with my brothers anymore," he added on.

I frowned, letting out a little gasp. "Wait, no... I'm sorry let's be friends again, please. I'll stop being a butthole! I promise! You're my bestest friend in the whole world!"

"Fine," he rolled his eyes again.

"Yay!" I giggled a little.

"Anyway," Aphmau so rudely interjected (hey! Dante back at it again with the big words! Alright!), "what were you guys talking about? Just in case you were wondering, I like helping people a whole heck-of-a-lot! And, you guys look like you needed some help."

She is right about that. We do need help.

With what?