Chapter 7: The Truth Revealed

*Dante's POV*
~5th Grade~

"Dante!" The soft, adorable voice called my name.

Aw, Vylad...

I spun around quickly, my heart pumping really excitedly, and my face warming up. I think the diagnosis with my weird problems is that I have contracted cooties. Not cool. Probably got them from when Travis kissed me that one time. What a jerk. He owes me an ice cream sandwich for infecting me like that. Then maybe I'll consider forgiving him for his crimes.

Just kidding, I'll probably hold it over his head for forever!

"Hiya, Vylad!" I smiled down at him, rocking on my heels. "It's been awhile, hasn't it?"

Vylad's adorable smile quickly turned into a grumpy pout, his cheeks puffed out and his lips pursed. Uh-oh. What did I do this time?

"You, mister," Vylad poked me sternly in the chest, "haven't been over to our house in forever! It's in-creed-ably rude of you, good sir!"

"Uh, err, I'm sorry," I apologized, frowning. I puckered my bottom lip out, putting on my best "puppy dog eyes" (hopefully). "Forgive me?"

He stared up at me for a few moments, eyebrows furrowed and eyes narrowed. Then, without even a second of thought, his face went back to his usual happy-go-lucky appearance. His smile showing off his teeth (he's missing quite a few) and his sparkling green eyes wide and filled with all of the happiness in the world. (Woah. I should write that last part down. That's good. I'm proud of myself. Good on you, Dante, you earn a gold star today.)

"Okay! I forgive you!" Vylad chirped, standing on his tiptoes, and booping my nose. Oh my Irene, I like when he does that, so much. But, he has no right to make me feel so flustered. The nerve! "Because you're super awesome, and amazing, and I could never stay mad at you!"

Oh shoot, I think I'm in love with him.

...

...

...

Uh-oh.

Wait, wait, wait! Like-like-ing him is one thing. But love?! That's a grown-up thing! Oh shoot, I'm barely even in middle school yet! I don't even know the difference between brackets and parenthesis yet!

Maybe I'm just being stupid again. I do that a lot. Gene said so, and he's the smartest person ever. He told me that as well.

"Ya know, Vylad, you and Garroth can come over to my place anytime you want, as well." I ignored the silly voices in my head. They can argue all they want about grown-up things. The rest of my is going to stay a kid forever, because being a kid is cool.

Vylad gasped, clapping his hands together excitedly. "Really?! That's great! I'll have to come over, like, all of the time!"

"Wicked. But, maybe not all of the time," I chuckled, scratching the back of my head. "But, you can come over pretty much whenever you ask."

"What if I ask to come over all the time...?" He asked. Oh my Irene...

"Then I guess you'll just have to live with me, Vylad," I joked.

"True, true," Vylad nodded, stroking his chin. "We'll have to get married then. Three kids. My brothers can buy us a private island for a wedding gift."

What?!

"Uh, w-what?" I tugged at my collar. Man, does this school have air conditioning? I think I'm going to die from heat exhaustion!