chapter four

Niklaus heard Keira's reassuring words diligently, re-living them in his mind and replaying them repeatedly

Although he had been called "special" on occasions before, the way she had said the word conveyed a sense of genuineness and care. It felt different from other times he had been called that, and it resonated deeply within him, stirring something within him that he had been reluctant to acknowledge.

Indeed, the warm and positive words from Keira felt like a spark that slowly began to crack the wall that surrounded Klaus' heart, which had turned to stone years ago.

She had touched something within him that he had been reluctant to acknowledge. It was almost as though the warmth and kindness radiating from her was slowly unfreezing the walls that he had built up to protect his heart from further pain and suffering.

"There you are." Once again, Klaus was startled out of his reverie as he witnessed her embrace Elijah and heard her cheerful voice.

He felt a brief moment of jealousy as he watched her wrap her arms around Elijah, but that emotion was soon replaced by admiration for her kindhearted nature.

Even though she felt safer in Elijah's arms, she did not forget about Klaus and continued to maintain a sense of warmth and affability towards him, which he found endearingly charming.

Klaus frowned as he saw her in Elijah's embrace, his hands twitching as he felt the urge to drag her away from him and claim her for himself. He couldn't bear seeing someone else hold her and lavish her with affections.

However, despite his possessive urges, he knew he had to remain calm. He couldn't shatter the favorable image that Keira held of him, so he struggled to keep his composure as she stayed in Elijah's arms. The sight of them together and the thought of losing her was more than he could bear.

"Elijah! Klaus is Big Wolf!" Keira exclaimed, and Klaus's jealousy evaporated as all of his focus shifted to her and her playful tone.

Even though she was in Elijah's arms and seemed to care for his well-being, she still maintained her amiable demeanor towards Klaus and did not forget about him.

This fact pleased him immensely, and he responded with a grin, pleased that the image he had worked so hard to cultivate with her was still intact.

"Should I be worried about that, Niklaus?" Elijah queried, his eyebrow raised as he observed Klaus' amused reaction.

"No need to worry," Klaus answered, his tone light and amused as he shook his head.

He was glad that Elijah had addressed the comment that the young woman had made about him. However, he was confident that his brother would believe him when he assured him that her words had been harmless and playful.

"That's right, it's time for lessons, Keira. I'll walk with you, dear," Elijah said as she nodded, turning back to Klaus.

"Is Big Wolf going to join us?"

Niklaus chuckled at her playful attitude but shook his head, his touch gently grazing her cheek in a reassuring gesture before he let go.

"Sorry Little Wolf, I have some business to attend to, I'll see you later," he said, adding a teasing note to his tone, which caused her to smile in his hands. This display of affection didn't elude Elijah, who frowned at the sight and turned away from them.

Elijah had reservations about the trajectory of the connection between the pair. Klaus was primarily motivated by a desire for power, rather than genuine affection or regard for her as an individual.

Elijah possessed a deep sense of attachment towards the youngster. He was anxious about the potential for her to experience emotional distress should she and his brother warm up to each other. Despite this apprehension, he desired for his sibling to experience joy.

The tension created by these conflicting desires left Elijah conflicted. On the one hand, he wanted to safeguard the youngster from potential harm, yet he also wanted his brother to be fulfilled. It was unclear which desire would ultimately prevail.

...

"Elijah, I don't get," Keira said, sitting alongside the older original Elijah in the study for a handful of hours to undergo her standard training on mastering the art of humanity. Since Keira had not succeeded in regaining her memories, Elijah had decided to refrain from attempting to coerce her. Instead, he opted to concentrate on assisting her in adjusting to the premise of being human once again.

"Keira, my dearest, it is common courtesy to express gratitude when someone gives you something," the older Elijah stated, observing the young wolf's frowny visage.

"But, it doesn't make sense" Keira grumbled as Elijah chuckled. Although Keira displayed a childish behavior towards the older original when it came to their lessons, he found this amusing instead of irritating. One of her particular interests during their lessons was the field of history; however, she engaged in this sort of behavior more often during those particular studies. It seemed as though learning about history grabbed and maintained her attention.

"Greetings, brother, are you still attempting to subdue the stray?" Rebekah sauntered into the chamber, her arms folded, her lips curled into a mocking sneer at the sight of the youth wolf, in hopes of provoking her.

It appeared to have been a mission she set for herself the moment Keira was brought into the Mikaelson house, yet she was repeatedly unsuccessful in her endeavors.

Rebekah had attempted countless times to antagonize Keira and invoke her ire, but the efforts failed miserably every single time. She was baffled by Keira's unwillingness or inability to become furious, despite the provocations constantly being dished her way.

Upon spotting the female, Keira burst into a broad grin, her demeanor becoming amiable and accommodating as was her standard approach. "Becka! Welcome home!" Just as was customary, Keira was gracious and welcoming to the female original, which amused the pair of elder brothers to no end.

Elijah could not help but observe the scene, laughing softly to himself as he witnessed yet another instance of Keira's kind nature, even in the face of a person who constantly attempted to enrage her.

In spite of the unkind statements made by the younger sister of Elijah and Niklaus, when it came to Keira setting eyes on the female, her demeanor was invariably ecstatic. There was a certain aura about the female that put Keira's mind at ease. It was a feeling she could not adequately articulate, yet she could not deny its comforting nature, which made her feel a sense of calm and peace.

Although Keira was initially wary of the female, because she was a vampire, it did not take long for her to comprehend that Rebekah lacked malevolent intentions towards her. Due to Rebekah's non-maleficent aura, Keira's initial hesitance gradually morphed into the understanding that the female original intended her no harm.

Keira viewed Rebekah as a unique individual, but she could empathize with the sense of loneliness the Originals had carried with them for centuries. Since she also understood that profound anguish, Keira extended her compassion to the Originals, always offering kindness–almost as if it was instinctive for her to do so.