Chapter 15 - Penny

I sent Owen to the bathroom to splash cold water on his face and collect himself. It had the benefit of giving me a minute to start absorbing everything he'd told me.

My mate had a long-term relationship with someone else. Rationally, I knew I didn't need to feel threatened by it. Emotionally, it would take a little getting used to. And I knew he didn't have many close connections in his life since his family died. Would it be fair of me to expect that they wouldn't see each other anymore? Especially with what she was going through, how could I ask that of them? But how could I live with it otherwise?

Well, I didn't need to have all of the answers right away. In fact, taking a little time to process and get to know Owen could only help.

I lay down on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. I couldn't leave Owen alone yet, but I wanted Charlotte. She was my best friend and was going through having a new mate, too. I was certain her mating was less complicated than mine, but maybe she would have some insight for me. Even if she didn't, it would be good to hear what she had to say. Besides, I missed her.

Owen came back to the bed and sat down next to me, staring down with a concerned look. "Are you okay?" he asked.

I almost laughed, but the situation was so un-funny that I couldn't. I sighed and sat up so we were on the same level. "If I'm not now, I will be. This is just a lot to take in."

"I know. Thank you for being so understanding, Penny. I don't think many people would be."

I waved that away, uncomfortable. It didn't really matter how most people would feel in this situation. "What now?"

He sighed. "She wants me to come back. She says she needs me."

Pain shot through my heart, razor-sharp. Though I tried to keep my expression smooth, I couldn't help wincing.

Owen ran his hands through his hair. "I know that's not fair to you. I can't be there for her the way she needs me to be. But she shouldn't have to go through this alone, not when it's my fault she even had a baby to miscarry."

I grabbed Owen's hand and held it tightly, needing to feel more connected to him. Besides, it soothed the raw bond we shared that was still too fresh for this. "I know. It's a crummy situation." Understanding her side didn't mean I could make myself agree to send my mate back to her when I knew she was in love with him and wouldn't understand that what was between us had to be greater than whatever they shared. "What's her name?"

"Bianca."

It was a pretty name, I admitted. "Did you tell her about me?"

Owen looked away and I knew the answer. "I couldn't. She's so upset about losing the baby. I just couldn't make her hurt more than she already did. I'll tell her about you soon, Penny, I swear, it just wasn't a good time."

I honestly couldn't blame him, even though I hated hearing it. Owen was hurting so badly I could feel it through the bond and I instantly scooted closer to him on the bed and said, "I understand. It's okay."

"You deserve better than this, Penny. Today should have been so special for you. This was terrible timing."

My chest ached. "Do you regret mating with me?"

His eyes flashed to mine. "No, never. Please don't think that. I just can't believe what a bad situation I've created."

"Does Bianca have anyone else? I know you said her mother was with her." Please tell me she doesn't really need you, I begged inwardly.

"I'm the closest friend she has, but there are others. I don't think she'll want many people to know about this, though. She's big on hiding her weaknesses."