F for Festival

Bella twirled around in front of the mirror, that hung on her bedroom wall, in the highest part of the bell tower. She was wearing one of the new dresses that she had made herself, out of the fabric her master Frollo, provided.
Intent on wearing it to the Festival of Fools that afternoon, she had made it specially for the occassion.
Although Frollo had forbidden her and her brother, from leaving Notre Dame cathedral, Bella had been doing so for most of her life. There were hundreds of secret tunnels and catacombs throughout the city, that Bella, and many other gypsies used to get around. And after 20 years locked inside the cathedral, Bella had found them all.
The Festival of Fools, was one of Bella's favourite events of the year, and she had been attending them behind Frollo's back, for a very long time.

The sound of voices outside of Bella's room, brought her attention back to the present. After one last look in the mirror, she sighed, and walked out of her room to go and find her brother, Quasimodo.
She found him in front of the small wooden town that he had made, talking to three large motionless stone statues, that sat behind him.
Bella smiled at her brother's childlike tendancies. When she was younger, she too had spoken to the gargoyles, and even believed that they could talk back.
She had named the two males, Victor and Hugo, and their female companion, Laverne.
But as she had grown up, she'd realised that talking to stone statues, was a very immature, childish thing to do. However, she did not deny her brother the opportunity to talk to them, as she knew how much joy it brought him.

"Good morning dear brother" said Bella, announcing her arrival.
Quasimodo smiled, as his sister approached him.
"Morning. I love the new dress" he complimented.
Bella grinned, and twirled around the room, showing off her outfit.
"Thank you. I made it specially for the Festival of Fools" she replied.
Quasimodo's face fell, as his sister continued talking.
"Actually, I'm surprised you're not out there, watching. I know how much you love to watch the festival" she continued, pointing to the balcony behind them.

"I just don't feel like watching the festival this year" admitted Quasimodo.
"Well... Did you ever think of sneaking out with me, and being a part of it, for once?" Asked Bella.
"Oh no. I couldn't do that. Master would be so mad, if he found out"
"Who says he has to find out? It's only one afternoon. All you have to do is sneak out, and then sneak back in. Frollo will be at the festival all afternoon, watching from his stupid podium, so he won't even notice that you're gone"
"But what if someone saw me? You know that I don't exactly look normal... People would scream if they saw me"
"No they wouldn't. Besides, its the Festival of Fools, everyone looks weird today, and most people are wearing masks anyway. So if they were put off by your looks, then they would just assume you were wearing a mask as well".

"Do you really think I could do it?" Asked Quasimodo, nervously.
"Of course you could" answered Bella.
"And you would be O.K with me being there? I wouldn't get in your way?"
"Of course not. You're my brother Quasi. I would be so happy to have you out there, with me"
"Alright then, I'm going to do it".
Bella screamed excitedly, and ran over to hug her brother tightly.
"Well. This is cosy".
The siblings broke apart, and saw that Frollo had entered the bell tower, carring a picnic basket, with their lunch inside.
"What is the occassion?" Frollo asked.
"It's nothing. Quasi was just complimenting me, on my new dress that I've just made" lied Bella.

"I see. Don't you think that outfit is a bit pro-ocative?" Questioned Frollo.
Bella sighed, as Frollo was a religious man, she knew he cared a lot about decency and modesty. But her dress was no worse than half of the things the normal girls outside wore.
"I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Besides, it's not like anyone is going to see me" reminded Bella.
"Good point... Now, how about some lunch?" Frollo suggested.
Quasimodo lept into action, and ran to the cupboard to get cups and plates, while Bella and Frollo sat down opposite each other, at the table that the three of them ate their meals on.

Once Quasimodo had finished setting the table, Frollo began to unpack the basket he had brought, which contained; wine, cheese, bread, and grapes.
"So, would you like to go over your alphabet today?" Offered Frollo.
Bella rolled her eyes, but her brother nodded his head excitedly.
"Yes please. I would like that very much" he answered.
"Very well. A?" Quizzed Frollo.
"Abomination" started Bella, without much enthusiasm.
"B?" Asked Frollo, as he began to pour out the wine.
"Blasphomy" Quasimodo answered.
"C?" Questioned Frollo.
"Crucifiction" sighed Bella.

"D?" Frollo quizzed.
"Damnation" replied Quasimodo.
"E?" Asked Frollo.
"Eternal Damnation" mocked Bella.
"F?" Frollo questioned.
"Festival" answered Quasimodo, without thinking.
Frollo choked on his grape, and Bella snapped her head to face her brother, with a terrified expression on her face.
"What was that you said?" Demanded Frollo.
"F-Forgiveness" stuttered Quasimodo.
"You said festival"
"No-"
"You were thinking about going to the festival"
"It's just, that you go ever year-"
"I am a public offical, I must go. But I don't enjoy a moment of it".

"It's my fault Frollo. I was talking to him about it earlier. It's my-" admitted Bella, as she tried to defend her brother.
"I don't want to hear another word out of you. Now, go back to your room, I need to talk to your brother alone, and remind him why he is not welcome out there, with normal people" interupted Frollo coldly.
"But I-" Bella faltered, as Frollo glared down at her.
"Yes master... I'll see you later Quasi" she muttered, as she left her chair, and began to make her way back to her room, while she waited for Frollo to leave.

Once she heard Frollo's footsteps exiting the tower, she made her way down the backstairs in the cathedral, towards a loose grate in the floor. Once removed, the grate led into one of the secret passages, which came out into one of the alleyways outside the building.
She hated to leave her brother inside the cathedral, but she knew that after their recent run in with Frollo, he would be too scared to leave. So she would have to spend the day, alone, like she normally did.