More Than Just friends

Bella was still in tears, when she reached the Court of Miracles.
Though the hour was late, the gypsy sanctuary was still full of movement. Which made Bella feel better about being there, as she knew that she wasn't waking anyone up, by turning up so late.
When Clopin spotted Bella crying, he immediately began to run towards her. He didn't even need to ask what was wrong, as the large cut and bruise on her cheek, gave it away.
Clopin threw his arms around Bella, and he held her close to his chest, as she cried.
"Why don't we go somewhere more private?" Suggested Clopin quietly.
Bella sniffed, and nodded, before allowing Clopin to escourt her towards a small enclosed section of the sanctuary, that he used as his bedroom.

Once the pair had sat down on Clopin's bed, he took a clean piece of cloth, and dampened it with water. He then began to softly press it against the wound on Bella's cheek.
"I'm sorry. But we need to clean the cut" apologised Clopin, as Bella winced in pain.
"I know... It just stings" she admitted.
"It looks sore... Was it Frollo who-"
"Yes. It was Frollo who hit me"
"I see".
Clopin looked down at the red marks that had begun to form around Bella's neck. He gently brushed her hair out of the way, to get a better look at the hand prints around her throat.
"I'll kill him" muttered Clopin angrily.

"It's my fault. I shouldn't have provoked him" admitted Bella.
"This was not your fault. You didn't ask for this... But out of curiousity, what did you say to him?" Asked Clopin.
"I told him to go to hell"
"Wow. That was brave"
"I guess... I don't think he took it very well"
"I can see that. He nearly suffucated you Bella... I warned you that something like this might happen"
"Yes, you did. But I wasn't going to let Frollo stand there, and shout at my brother. Quasi will never stand up to Frollo, so someone had to do it for him"
"What did Quasimodo do, when Frollo did this to you?"
"He... He just sat there on the floor. He didn't move, or even say a word".

Bella sniffed, and wiped away her tears, with the back of her hand.
"I expect he was too scared to do anything. Not everyone can stand up to Frollo, the way that you did" reminded Clopin.
"I'm sure you would have stood up for me, if Frollo had been shouting at me, like he was to Quasi" replied Bella.
"Yes. I would never have let him touch you"
"It's good to know that someone has my back"
"Yes, I do... And just so you know, I am not going to let you go back up there to him. I am not going to let you get hurt again"
"I can't go back, even if I wanted to... Frollo warned me that if I ever returned to the bell tower, he'd make me wish that I'd never been born. I had to flee as fast as I could, leaving my brother behind... I'm a terrible sister"
"No, you're not. You didn't have a choice. If you hadn't left when you did, Frollo might have killed you".

"But I just left Quasi up there, with him. What kind of a sister does that? And am I really supposed to just accept that I'll never see him again?" Questioned Bella.
"Of course you'll see him again. You can just sneak into the tower, when Frollo isn't there. He's not there the whole time, is he? So you've got loads of chances to visit your brother" reminded Clopin.
"I guess... But I've lost my home. I've got nowhere to go now. Frollo expects me to sell my body on the streets, in order to survive. He thinks I'm going to end up crawling back to him... And he's probably right"
"No, he's not. You are going to stay here with me. This is your home now. You are a gypsy afterall. This is where you belong. And you can make money the same way the rest of us do... You are not alone Bella. You have me by your side, and I am not going anywhere".

"Do you really think I can belong down here?" Asked Bella.
"Of course you can. You are one of us, aren't you? This has been your home all along, even if you didn't know it. I'll look after you, and teach you everything you need to know, about being a gypsy" promised Clopin.
"Thank you... I still don't feel comfortable leaving Quasi alone with Frollo though"
"If he wants to stay up there, then that's his choice. You can't force him to leave, if he doesn't want to"
"No, I suppose I can't"
"Come on now, don't look so down. This is the start of your new life. Free from Frollo's grasp. So why do you look so down?".

"Well, if you must know, apart from everything that just happened with Frollo, I recently found out, that the guy I like, is in love with someone else. And I feel a bit like a fool, for thinking that someone like him, could ever fancy someone like me" revealed Bella.
"If he chose someone else over you, then he is a fool... You are beautiful Bella" complimented Clopin.
"It's a shame that this man doesn't see me, the way that you do"
"Well then he is blind, as well as a fool. Because you are the most amazing person I have met. You are funny, beautiful, kind, and you have the biggest heart I have ever seen... You have no idea how special you are, and how much I care about you".
Clopin began to slowly move closer to Bella, until their faces, were only inches apart.
"Clopin" mumbled Bella softly.

The sound of chanting in the distance made Bella and Clopin quickly jump apart.
"What's that sound?" Quizzed Bella.
Clopin frowned, and a serious look crossed his face.
"It sounds like an intruder has been found".
"An intruder?" Gasped Bella.
"Yes. If those on guard find any intruders, they are supposed to bring them to the main hall, where they will be hung" replied Clopin.
"Hung? Isn't that a bit extreme?"
"We have to keep this place a secret. Hundreds of lives depend upon this place, we can't just let anyone know about it"
"You let me know"
"Well, you're different. And we told you how important secrecy is, when you found this place"
"Yes, you did. And I have not told another soul, about this place"
"Good. Well, I need to go and oversee the trial. Wait for me here. I will come and get you when it is safe".

"No. I'm not having you leave me behind. I'm coming with you" announced Bella.
"But it might not be safe" reminded Clopin.
"I don't care"
"You're here under my protection, and I can't risk anything bad happening to you".
Bella laced her fingers through Clopins, and smiled at him.
"I am not letting you go anywhere without me. From now on, we do everything together" she insisted.
"Well, I guess if you are by my side, I can keep an eye on you" sighed Clopin.
"Good. Now, lets go and find out what all the fuss is about".