The Secret's Out

Phoebus was only just hidden in time, as Frollo walked a lot quicker than Bella and Quasimodo had expected.
When Frollo opened the bell tower door, and approached the siblings, their hearts began to beat faster than they ever had before.
"Oh, master. I- We didn't think you'd be coming" stuttered Quasimodo.
"Yeah. We thought you'd be too busy" added Bella, coldly, thinking about all the burning buildings outside the cathedral.
"I'm never too busy to share a meal with you both. I brought you a little treat" revealed Frollo, as he took a seat and placed his basket onto the table.
Quasimodo and Bella quickly sat down opposite him, and an awkward silence filled the room.

Frollo cleared his throat, and Quasimodo jumped to his feet, and ran to fetch the plates and glasses. Having forgotten to do so, before he had sat down.
In his nervousness, he dropped one of the glasses, which smashed loudly on the floor.
Bella's palms began to sweat excessively, as she saw a triumphant smile cross Frollo's face.
Quasimodo returned and placed the plates down in front of everyone, before sitting back down at the table. Frollo then placed a portion of grapes onto each of the plates, before an uncomfortable silence, once again filled the room.
"Is there something troubling you Quasimodo?" Frollo questioned, as he began to carefully pick off one of the grapes from the bunch.
"No" replied Quasimodo, too quickly.
"Oh, but there is, I know there is"
"No I-"
"You're not eating boy".

Quasimodo quickly began to stuff as many grapes into his mouth as possible.
"Hmm. This is very good. Thank you" he mumbled, through a mouthful of grapes.
Bella took a more delicate approach, picking each grape off slowly, before placing them inside her mouth.
Phoebus suddenly groaned from underneath the table, which Quasimodo tried to mask, by pretending to choke on a grape.
"Seeds" he lied, once he had finished coughing.
Bella clenched her fist below the table, and prayed to God that Frollo hadn't noticed Phoebus's sounds.
"Is there something different in here?" Questioned Frollo, as he stood to his feet, and began looking around the room.
"I don't think so" muttered Quasimodo, as Bella was to afraid to say a word.

Frollo looked back down at the table, and picked up one of Quasimodo's models. Bella recognised it instantly, as it was a perfect replica of Esmeralda.
"Is this one new? It's awfully good. It looks a lot like that gypsy girl... I know you helped her escape!" Shouted Frollo, as he smacked the table violently with his hand, causing Quasimodo to fall to the floor, and Bella to jump to her feet.
"And now all of Paris is burning because of you!" Frollo continued, as he began to smash up all of Quasimodo's model houses, making Bella flinch.
"She was kind to me master" muttered Quasimodo nervously.
Bella's heart sank, as she watched her brother reveal the truth to Frollo, who was still in a rage.

Frollo stepped towards Quasimodo and began shaking him violently.
"You fool. That wasn't kindness, that was cunning. Gypsies aren't capable of real love. Think boy. Think of your mother!.. But what could a poor mishapen boy like you, have against her heathen powers" He shouted.
"That's enough! Let him go" ordered Bella, who couldn't stand by and watch her brother suffer, any longer.
Frollo released Quasimodo and turned to face Bella.
"I suppose you helped your brother with this little escapade" spat Frollo.

"No. I wasn't here. But if I had been, I would have helped her escape. Esmeralda is not a witch, and you know that. You're just embarassed that you have feelings for her, which is why you have decided to hunt her down-" started Bella.
"Silence!" Interupted Frollo angrily.
"No. I'm done staying quiet, and listening to your lies about the gypsy people. You've lied to us our entire lives. Our mother was a good person, and she did not abandon us. She loved us, but she died so could no longer take care of us. She didn't care that Quasi was deformed, she loved him anyway" revealed Bella.

"I said enough!" Shouted Frollo, as he smacked Bella across the face, with the back of his hand.
One of his rings caught the corner of Bella's cheek, causing it to bleed.
"I am not afraid of you Frollo. You have no hold over me, anymore. And I shall wear this like a badge of honor" announced Bella, as she pointed to the place where she had just been struck.
"If that's the case, then get out... Don't bother packing any belongings, as everything you own, was given to you by me, so it is mine" replied Frollo coldly.
"You're throwing me out?"
"Well if I can't control you, then I have no further use for you. Good luck out there on the streets, on your own. A girl like you can only make a living, doing one thing... I expect you'll come crawling back here in no time, but you won't find a home here, ever again".

"What about Quasi?" Questioned Bella, gesturing to her brother, who was still lying on the floor.
"What about him?" Quizzed Frollo.
"Well are you going to kick him out too?"
"I don't see why I need to do that. He has not displayed any dangerous behaviour, like you"
"So you're splitting us up?"
"It's the best thing for you both. That way I can keep you from corrupting his mind, with unholy thoughts"
"I'm not leaving my brother alone with you"
"Well you can't take him with you. A monster like him, doesn't belong out there, with normal people, and you know it"
"He's not the monster here Frollo. You are. And I hope you burn in hell!".

Frollo moved quicker than Bella thought possible for a man of his age, as he grabbed hold of her neck, and pinned her against a nearby wall.
Bella began to cough and splutter, as she struggled to breathe. She tried to use her limbs to fight Frollo, but it was no use, he had his entire body pressed against hers, stopping her from moving.
"One more word from you, and you'll wish you'd never been born... Now, you are going to walk out that door, and never come back" hissed Frollo into Bella's ear.
Bella managed to move her head up and down slightly, showing that she understood.
Frollo smiled cruely at his victory, but before he released Bella, his eyes flicked to her chest.
Bella's low cut dress was directly beneath his eyes, and he had never stood so close to her before.

Bella's heart began to race as she realised how vulnerable she was, and completely at Frollo's mercy.
But before she had time to worry about Frollo's dark intentions, he let go of her neck, causing her to drop to the floor. She began to gasp loudly, as she tried to take in as much air as possible.
As Bella stood to her feet, she sent an apologetic look at her brother, before turning and running towards the bell tower door. She grabbed the handle quickly, and heaved it open, before continuing down the stone steps of the cathedral, alone.