Intruders

The main hall was so full of gypsies, that it was hard for Bella and Clopin to make their way towards the stage.
When Bella caught a glimpse of those of trial, she felt her stomach drop.
Quasimodo and Phoebus were both up on the stand, with their hands tied behind their backs, and ropes around their necks.
Bella tried to shout and scream, but words failed her, as she watched one of the gypsies begin to pull the lever that would kill her brother and Phoebus.
She had lost sight of Clopin as they'd made their way through the crowds, and Bella began to frantically look around for someone else who could help her.
Just as it was starting to look helpless, a figure pushed through the crowds at the last moment. Appearing like an angel, to save Quasimodo and Phoebus.

"Stop!" Shouted Esmeralda, as she made her way up onto the stage.
"These men aren't spies, they're our friends. Phoebus is the man who saved the Miller's family. And Quasimodo helped me escape the cathedral" she continued, as she began to untie Phoebus and Quasimodo.
Bella immediately began pushing through the crowds, to reach her brother. She jumped onto the stage, and threw her arms around Quasimodo, holding him tight.
"I thought I'd lost you" she whispered.
"I'm not going anywhere" promised Quasimodo, as he released his sister from the hug.
"We came to warn you. Frollo's coming. He says he knows where your hideout is, and he's attacking at dawn with a thousand men!" Revealed Phoebus.
Loud gasps surged through the crowds, as the gyspies began to panic.
"Then we must waste no time. We must leave immediately" announced Esmeralda.

The crowds began to quickly depart, as Bella and the others climbed down from the stage.
"Thank you, you took a great risk in coming here. We might not show it, but we're grateful" admitted Esmeralda, as she hugged Phoebus tightly.
"How did you find this place?" Questioned Bella.
"Esmeralda gave me a necklace with a map on it, that led us here" replied Quasimodo.
"Well I guess that would help. I had been wandering around the sewers for weeks, before I found this place by accident"
"Why did you never tell me about that you knew where the Court of Miracles was, all along?"
"I was sworn to secrecy Quasi. I wasn't allowed to tell anyone about the gypsies sanctuary. I had to keep it a secret from everyone, even my own brother... But I'm glad that you are here now".

"So am I. I don't know what we would have done without your warning" Esmeralda admitted.
"Well don't look at me, it was all Quasi's doing. Without his great map reading skills, we never would have found this place" praised Phoebus, as he patted Quasimodo on the back.
"Nor would I!".
Bella spun around and saw Frollo standing on the steps in the entrance hall. A second later, dozens of soldiers ran into the room, blocking off all of the exits.
Three of the soldiers approached the group, and began restraining them individually.
Bella tried to fight the man that held her, but her arms were pinned behind her back, at an awkward angle, making it impossible for her to escape.

Quasimodo was the only one of the group not being restrained, but he made no attempt to free any of the people around him.
"At last, after 20 years of searching, I have finally found the Court of Miracles" announced Frollo happily, as he made his way towards them.
"My dear Quasimodo. I knew you would one day be of use to me" he continued.
"What do you mean?" Questioned Esmeralda.
"Why, he led me straight to you, my dear" answered Frollo.
Quasimodo fell to his knees, and Bella sighed deeply as she realised what had happened, after Frollo had thrown her from the tower.
Frollo had obviously pretended to know where the gypsies were hiding, so Quasimodo would feel the need to find the sanctuary and warn the gypsies. And all Frollo would have to do, was follow him.

"And look what else I've caught in my net. Captain Phoebus, back from the dead. Another miracle no doubt... I shall remedy that.
And my dear Bella, I had no idea I would find you down here as well. What a wonderful surprise. It seems like I've killed two birds with one stone, by coming here tonight.
Now, there will be a little bonfire in the square tomorrow, and you're all invited to attend... Lock them up!" Announced Frollo.
"Master please don't-" Quasimodo faltered, as Frollo glared down at him.
"Take him back to the bell tower. And make sure that he stays there" instructed Frollo, to two guards on his right, who then began to drag Quasimodo from the room.

"Quasi! Quasi!" Shouted Bella desperately, as she was dragged off in the opposite direction to her brother.
She fought as hard as she could, but eventually she gave up, as she knew that she was vastly outnumbered, and had no hope of escaping.
When they reached the Palace of Justice, she was thrown into a cell with Esmeralda.
Bella could hear Phoebus, Clopin and the rest of the gypsies, as they were being held at the end of the corridor, but she couldn't see them.
She suspected that her and Esmeralda had been removed from everyone else, because Frollo had other plans for them. What those plans were, Bella didn't want to think about.

But what hurt Bella most of all, was the fact that her brother had done nothing to try and save her.
She knew that she would have given her life, to save Quasimodo, but she feared that he wouldn't do the same for her, if it meant standing up to Frollo.
He had sat on the floor, and done nothing, when Frollo had slapped her, and pinned her up against the wall. And when Frollo's soldiers had dragged her away, he had done nothing once again.

Bella turned away from the prison bars, and looked out of the small window on the back wall of the cell, that overlooked the square.
She watched as the soldiers began to build a pyre, and cover it with straw.
Large cages had been placed around the pyre, and Bella started to fear what the morning would bring...