First Mission

"Trent, I can't sleep." I peeked through the studio door.

    He jumped a little when I spoke, and he looked up. "Oh, uhm..." He moved some papers around on his desk. "Come in. I'm just reviewing some sketches."

    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you." I walked in slowly, looking around. "You drew all these?"

    "Hmm? Oh yeah. Some of those are a decade old though." He stood up and stretched his back. "I frame most of my newer artwork." He pointed to the wall behind him, which was only covered halfway across.

    I walked over to the wall and pointed to a picture that seemed to be character designs for the red, blue and yellow rangers. "Wow, these are good."

    "You think so?" He stepped behind me, looking up at the same picture. "I've improved a little bit since this. This is the oldest one I have framed." He looked at the desk. "I'm working on newer ones right now, but they're more accurate to our new rangers." He smiled at me as he walked to his desk and waved me over. I could tell he was happy about it. He showed me a ranger with red, seemingly female.

    "Who is this?" I asked.

    "That's you, once you morph. I'll revise it after you morph for the first time."

    "Are you going to put these in your comics?" As much as I liked the idea of being famous, I don't know what kind of light I'd be put in.

    "In a few months, yes. You still haven't made an introduction to the public yet and it'd be weird if I just put in a female red ranger right before you made an appearance." He picked it up and looked at it. "This is one of my favorites I've drawn."

    "You have a lot of high hopes for me as a ranger, don't you?"

    "I do." He stepped a little closer to me. "I know what it's like to be doubted, even after I've proven myself."

    Knowing full well the feeling of being doubted in other things before, I should have been more appreciative of this instead of questioning it.

    He took a step back and smiled at me. "Change of subject. What do you do besides play soccer and kick evil butt?"

    I chuckled. "Well, I like to sing sometimes. I'm not very good at it. I also sometimes play guitar but I'm not very good at it either and I can't really write my own songs."

    He blinked and looked away for a moment. I could tell he was bothered by something but he didn't show it for very long, as he went back to smiling the very next moment. "You said singing, what kind of music do you like to sing?"

    "I like rock, bu-"

    At the moment the bracelet on Trent's wrist started beeping. He looked almost relieved. He held the bracelet close to his mouth. "This is Trent, what's up?"

    "Trent, it's Conner." I heard Coach McKnight's voice. "We got a seriously weird looking freak in the middle of town. Ethan picked up the other two, do you know where Aubrey is?"

    He cleared his throat. "Yeah, I know where she is. I'll... Pick her up and bring her."

    "Alright. See you there."