Lisa's Surprise

It was finally December. Lisa's birthday was tomorrow, the 16th, and we were all rushing to get everything done. The best part, it was a surprise party!

    "Okay, we've got the yellow balloons... check." Alex marked something on a clipboard. "Nathan, you got the signed comics from Trent, right?"

    Nathan nodded as he carefully sat down a pile of laminated comics on Andre's coffee table. "Trent made sure to write a special message on each one. The Power Rangers comic series is her favorite, after all."

    Another check. Every time they said his name, I wanted to break something. It made me sick that Lisa idolized that jerk.

    "Aubrey, the cake will be ready and delivered by 3 tomorrow?" Alex asked next.

    "Yep! Strange thing is, when I ordered it and asked for them to put the power rangers on it, they asked if she wanted Hello Kitty or Strawberry Shortcake instead since she was a girl."

    Alex laughed and checked another box. "Okay, and Andre, you got the video games all set up, right?"

    "Like I would forget that." Andre laughed.

    Alex nodded. "And I got all the movies picked out. She's going to be so shocked!"

    "I sure hope so, this was kinda expensive." I said quietly.

    "Hey, it's worth it for a smile." Alex smiled, pushing her hair out of her face. "Let's just hope she's as excited as we are."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Okay, everybody remember the plan." Nathan had brought us all together before we went into school. "Nobody say anything to Lisa about the party, pretend that we don't even know what day it is. Okay?"

    "Got it!"

    Throughout the day, when we saw Lisa, we'd act normal. When lunch came around, she seemed kinda aloof.

    "Hey, do you know what day it is?" Lisa asked, expectantly as we waited in line for food.

    I swallowed. "Uh... oh, it's Wednesday! They're serving grilled cheese today! Yummy, can't wait!" I sounded like an idiot.

    "Oh... yeah. Hey, I'm gonna go to the table. I forgot it was grilled cheese day, and I don't really like grilled cheese."

    Before I could stop her, she was gone. "What? She loves grilled cheese day..."

    At the table, we all sat and chatted together, except for Lisa. She was reading her book. I felt bad, but I knew I couldn't say anything. We had worked so hard to keep it a secret for about a week, I couldn't say anything yet.

    The longer the day went on, the sadder she looked. I wanted to tell her, and I could tell everyone else did, but it was only a few hours until the party was to start. We had to stay strong.

    The school day was over and we were all packing up, ready to head to the lab, when Lisa's communicator deeped. We gathered around her.

    "This is Lisa, go ahead." She said.

    "Got a giant monster at the big office building in town." Trent started. "I'm sending the zords in now, meet them there."

    "We're on it, Trent." Andre confirmed. "Alright, let's ranger up!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~