Melhorn - Part 2

May 2002

    "Are you ready?"

    I looked up at Amber, my beautiful and understanding girlfriend, as she walked through the guest bedroom door. I was holding an envelope in my hand, that held something very important.

    "I think so. Everything is in the moving truck. I just don't know if I'm ready to give this up." I tapped the envelope in my hand. "If it wasn't for this..."

    Amber shook her head. "You don't need it for luck anymore. That little girl would want you to use this to help yourself out."

    "I know, but still..."

    I hadn't seen Aubrey since that night back in February. I never got to thank her again for all the luck it brought me to have her gift.

    She smiled sweetly. "I know. We'll do it together. This will help us make the rent payment early."

    I sighed and nodded. "I know... I know."

    "Hey, Mason." Trent said at the door, pulling my attention. "Gonna miss you."

    I stood up and wrapped an arm around him, slapping his back. "Me too. It was fun taking drawing lessons from you."

    He laughed. "And thank you for helping me with all of my science homework. I should pass all of my classes Junior year because of you."

    "I'm glad I could help. Your dad will come around to your drawing soon, just wait. You're talented and eventually he will see it."

    "Thank you." He smiled. "I'll let you be, make sure to come visit."

    "I will." I said as he left the room.

    "Anton is waiting outside for you." Amber said.

    I nodded and took her hand, carefully putting the envelope in my jacket pocket. I planted a kiss on her forehead and lead her out of this house that had saved my life so many months ago.

    Anton was waiting by the moving truck, smiling as we walked out. He stuck a hand out to me, and I shook it. "Mason, I'll see you at work tomorrow."

    "As usual." I said. "Thank you for everything, Anton. If it wasn't for you, I'd still be a mess right now."

    "Now we are partners and I couldn't be happier about that decision." He said. "We've got a lot of work to do."

    "Yes we do. First thing tomorrow morning." I said. I walked over to the passenger door and opened it, helping Amber climb up and inside. Anton and I exchanged a few more words before I hopped into the driver's side and turned the car on. I looked out the window one last time at the place that had been my home for months. I wasn't sure if I was ready to say goodbye. But I had Amber, and, for now, I had my lucky charm. I would always have the note that came with it at least, maybe that had luck on it.

    I squeezed Amber's hand and put the car in drive, leaving the property of the Mercer's for, unknowingly, the very last time, and headed for the bank to drop off my lucky charm.

~~~~~~~~~~~

    I squeezed an eyedropper carefully and waited for the last drop to fall from the tip. It felt into the petri dish below and bubbles for a moment, then stopped. Nothing happened, and I felt my smile grow. I carefully picked it up and dumped the green contents into a beaker with a blueish liquid. It also bubbled for a minute, and then stopped.