Alex's Family

"My little brother is really bummed about the football season ending." Nathan sighed. "After their last game, he went home with his Shoulder pads and helmet still on. Mom had to bribe him to take it off."

    "That's nothing." Andre chuckled. "My sister literally had to be dragged off the soccer field a few weeks ago after they lost their last game."

    "Ha! I've got you both beat." I smacked my hands on the Lab desk. "My older sister's Senior year, she was at a Cheer Leading competition. Last one of her high school career. They got second place, and she refused to get up off the grass until my parents came and dragged her home. She threw a huge fit, tears and all!"

    Lisa snorted, while we were all bent over, laughing almost to tears. All of us except Alex. She had gotten up a few minutes ago, staring  towards a wall on the other side of the lab.

    "Hey, I'll be right back." I said, finally done laughing. They all continued to joke as I walked away.

    "You okay, Alex?" I asked, touching her shoulder gently.

    She nodded, then shook her head. "Not really."

    "What's going on?" I asked.

    Alex pressed her lips together, then looked at me. "I got my memories back about Anna..." she started softly. "I mean, Melhorn... He may have been brainwashing me, but Anna was always nice to me. Until she turned out to be a he named Melhorn. It's always just been me and my dad, you know? Anna made my old memories feel less lonely. Now it's all lonely again, and I wish I actually had a sister, or even a brother."

    I put my hand on my chin, trying to think of a way to give her a sister, even temporarily. I finally remembered something I saw online.

    "Hey, I know! There's this program called Big Brother Big Sisters of America. They link up older girls and boys to younger ones to spend time with each other. It's based on the theory that older siblings influence has a good impact on other kids who may have issues at home or with other things."

    "That's perfect! How do I sign up?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Alex and I worked on the sign-up process together, and eventually, she was assigned a sister. Her name was Tori Jacobs, 14, and she went to Reedside Middle.

    "Do I look okay?" Alex asked. She was wearing black jeans and a pink shirt. "Girls like pink, right?"

    I smiled. "Some girls do. But Alex, you want to be yourself with her. You don't have to try and impress her, because she'll love you no matter what."

    She sighed and nodded. "I'm glad you're coming with me. It'll help having someone with sibling experience around."

    "Remember, this girl has never had a sister before either. She'll be just as lost as you are at this. Like I said. Just be yourself. If we don't go soon, we're gonna be late."

    She looked at her watch. "Oh shoot! Come on!"

    We hopped in her car and raced off quickly. It wasn't the first time they had met, but it would be the first time they hung out. I could tell she was nervous.

    We pulled up to the house where Tori lived, where she was waiting with her mother. I got out of the car and moved to the back seat, so that Tori could sit up front. She ran around to the passenger side and got in excitedly.