03 | where it all began

"is this the start of something
wonderful and true?

or one more dream

i cannot make true"

2 0 Y E A R S A G O

A little girl of about eight years of age, walked in a haggard way through the corridors of an old building.

The smell of freshly painted walls entered her nostrils, making it difficult for her to breath.

Tears were streaming down her eyes, as she was unable to find her mother.

"MOM! Mom where are you?" She cried, as she called out for her mom.

She was new in this city, and lost in this huge, old building. She seemed to have lost her mom in this confusing maze like colony.

She climbed random staircases, hoping to land up somewhere and come across her mother.

Most of the stairways were dimly lit, some of them flickered constantly and it sent shivers down her spine.

The building was not exactly abandoned, though.

It was being resided by many people, and those strangers were the ones that scared her.

There were women, hanging clothes on a thin rope in the verandah, who stared her down, as she walked past their homes.

There were some women who carried buckets of water filled to its brim. They snarled at her, whenever she was about to bump into them. Her vision was already blurred due to continuous crying.

Amira neared on of the dimly lit staircases, exhausted from walking continuously, and sat down on one of the stairs, with her head between her knees, as she sobbed continuously.

She still didn't understand why her mother had suddenly dragged her out from their house, and away from her family, forcing her to leave all of her friends and stuffed toys behind.

Innocently, she even wondered why her parents were throwing things at each other, and screaming at each other or why her mother slapped her when she cried about going back to her father.

Throughout the entire car ride from Mumbai to Pune, her mom refused to talk to her or give her any explanations as to why they were shifting. Her mother was angry, and was already driving so fast that Amira was scared to speak another word.

She was lost, confused, and scared.

She already missed her huge, pink bedroom, her teddy bears, princesses and her father and her grandparents and she was scared of all the unknown people staring at her as she walked the length of the vast colony and past, what appeared to be small flats on the same floor, in search of her mother.