06 | familiar strangers

" i see a stranger in your eyes,
where i once saw a soulmate"

" i see a stranger in your eyes,where i once saw a soulmate"

Amira tossed and turned in her bed restlessly.

She glanced at Misha's sleeping form beside her. She had drifted off to sleep the moment her head had hit the pillow.

Lucky bitch!

Amira was tired from the long journey and the eventful previous day. All her sleep and tiredness from a few hours ago had left traces of it presence, if any.

The events of the past few hours played on repeat, in her mind. To say that she was confused was an understatement. Just a few hours ago, she had met Ahaan Mehra, her childhood best friend who was apparently, Aisha's cousin.

Correction - She finally met Ahaan Mehra after ten years and she's going to stay with him in the same house for the next few days.

She was happy and ecstatic yet nervous and confused.

When she had lost all hope in ever meeting him, there he stood in front of her, suddenly after all these years.

Amira was in a dilemma. Should she cry or laugh at her fate?.

Last night when Aisha had introduced them both, Ahaan had shown no signs of recognition. His face was blank, but his eyes showed something else, a sense of familiarity. But only for a few seconds before changing it's shade to displeasure. He just nodded at her and gave a small disinterested wave. Then his phone rang and he walked away.

Amira was hurt. Even after so many years, she had recognized him, just by looking into his eyes, and Ahaan had not.

Had he really forgotten her?

Was her role in his life so less important that he forgot her so easily?

Amira's hurt and confusion was clearly evident on her face, which Aisha misinterpreted to be due to Ahaan's rudeness, and she went on to pacify her and justify his actions, but Amira zoned out of that conversation, as she tried to come to terms with what had just happened a few minutes ago.

This wedding was the last place she had expected to meet Ahaan. Hell, she hadn't even expected to ever meet him.

She was alarmed at just how small the world is. Who knew that her once best friend from her old colony would be her college friend's brother?

Amira had numerous questions swarming around in her head.

For one, if Aisha was Ahaan's sister, how come she had never come across her during her childhood, when she used to constantly hang around Ahaan's family?

Did Ahaan know that Amira was Aisha's friend? Did he ever tell Aisha about them?

But there was no one she could seek answers from. Not Aisha, because it was evident that she was clueless about Amira and Ahaan's past. And she didn't want to open a closed chapter of her life by asking her about him.