em·pir·i·cal

based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic

Nadine sat in a little Chinese restaurant an hour from the university campus. She met her parents, a mother who worked as a nurse in the nearby city and a father who worked as a police captain a few towns over. Nadine had spent much of her high school life with her head in a book. She wanted to get as many scholarships as possible.

Her grandparents on her mother's side had moved over from Kenya when her mother was five years old. Her father's family had been living here since the early eighteen hundreds.

Nadine's parents raised her to work hard; the harder you work, the more you will get out of life.

Her parents disapproved of having a weave in her hair; they didn't like how superficial young girls were. They wanted Nadine to see that she was beautiful, without the fake hair, eyelashes, and make-up. The thing was, Nadine had been forever self-conscious about her height, and she just wanted to look like everybody else, so that didn't matter. It was the one thing she and her parent never spoke about.

Her parents arrived five minutes early, but Nadine had arrived ten minutes early as the traffic had been light. She hugged her father first; he was taller than her, and his hair lacked a little on the top. Her mother wore a bright coloured ribbon tied around her head. She had cut her hair, but its natural afro was still there. Nadine's mother had always loved bright colours and was currently wearing a bright yellow. This wasn't something that Nadine would wear, but she knew she and her mother were very different people.

The two parents sat down opposite of there daughter. Nadine's father, Andre Ferguson, didn't say anything to his daughter; instead, he just picked up the menu to choose what to eat. On the other hand, her mother started to ask how she was feeling, how classes were going, about her friends, and so on. Nadine was short and straight to the point with her answer because that is how her parents wanted her to be.

I would love to say that this lunch was exciting but it wasn't exciting. Nadine's nineteenth birthday was approaching, and her parents had to work the weekend before and after. They had chosen this weekend to exchange gifts and cards with her. They wanted to take her out and buy her a nice meal. They were also worried about their daughter, but they didn't ever admit this to her.

Last night the local police streamed a conference on all news networks. On Friday morning,  people woke to read a police report in the biggest tabloids around the country. This police report detailed that it was now being treated as a homicide. Hayden's father had made several comments. In his statements, he held the Mayor personally responsibly. The FBI had opened an investigation and would monitor the department while they dealt with the case.

Mr and Mrs Ferguson were worried about their daughter and didn't like the idea that she was living away from them. She was, of course, living in a dorm filled with drunken young adults. They didn't think she was safe, and they saw the worst in every situation, assuming that there was some crazy murderer on a killing spree, even though no one had died on campus since Hayden.

Nadine received a vintage necklace and a few pairs of earrings from her parents. She thanked her parents, and she was sincere with her thanks. The conversation was mainly focused on the family and light subjects. Nadine didn't want to. He was a cop with a big mouth. She knew he would follow this case like an eagle watching its prey.

Andre had been working for the police since he stepped out of college with a perfect GPA in a degree in technology and communications. He had risen through the ranks and now holds the position he had been dreaming of ever since he was a small child and had a police officer locate his stolen bike while growing up on the wrong side of the tracks.

So while the three of them were waiting for the check, Andre decided to ask his daughter about the investigation. She didn't know much; she knew Poppy, Sawyer, and Cain would be interviewed on Monday. She had no idea what would happen and told her father that.

"Daddy," She started clearing her throat and said. "I mean, Hayden was my friend, but I didn't ever talk to him one-on-one. They will probably ask me what I was doing the night he died, but there is nothing I've done that would seem suspicious. You don't need to worry about me." Andre wasn't happy with this answer and said the words.

"I know you, and I don't think you would hurt someone, but most murderers are committed by someone close to them. This would imply one of your friends. I want you to be careful. Keep your distance until the police have a lead." Nadine rolled her eyes at these words but knew her dad was protective of her. She learned a lot of people at the University probably hated him. He was a congressman's son, and anyone on the other side could want to hurt him, blackmail him or kill him. She wouldn't say this out loud, though, because she could have put a bullseye on her back due to her connection to Hayden and his family. She didn't know why Hayden was killed, and she couldn't live in fear for the rest of her life.

"Sweetie," Her mother started, and Nadine moved a little to the right of her chair so the waitress could put the check on the table. "Your father and I are just worried, given the circumstances. Just be careful and stay safe and please call us now and again to let us know you are okay." Nadine smiles at this comment and nods her head in understanding.

Andre pays the bill before standing up and grabbing his jacket. Nadine followed her father's motions. Nadine picked up her presents and placed them in her bag. She walks with her parents to her car, hugging them once more. She slides into the front seat and drives away.
***