va·​cant

devoid of thought, reflection, or expression

She was bored, sitting there listening to talk about chemtotoo cover up her eyes rolling a little bit

She was bored, sitting there listening to talk about chemtotoo cover up her eyes rolling a little bit. He was sticking with the small talk, and she couldn't deal with it anymore.

"You are trying too hard." She says, leaning closer to him. They had been here for ten minutes and were still on drinks. The whole idea of getting a meal was painful to Abigail. "So how about we leave a couple of bills on the table and do something fun? You need to lighten up." She says, smiling a little bit. Toby was slightly confused by her words, a flash of insult crossed his face, but he sorted this out quite quickly. Abigail was already getting her purse out and pulled out a teen dollar note, leaving it on the table and standing up. "So, are you coming then?" Toby didn't know how to feel about her behaviour. He had picked a nice restaurant because she was a lovely girl, but this wasn't for her; all he could do was follow her.

"I guess." He stood up, slipped his jacket, and let her lead him out the street.

It was a busy time for many of the students at this university, no matter if you were first-year or  PhD students. You had a lot more work than you were used to; last-minute cramming sessions were waiting for you around the corner. While Thursday nights were never packed with people, even by Thursday's standards, the streets of their little college were still very reasonable. Several plastic bags floated across the road, the darkness creeping into every corner you could see. Abigail pulled Toby along; they walked for a few minutes without saying anything. Abigail had always been so friendly to him and was a flirty girl, so when the opportunity came to ask her out, he took it. 

Abigail pulled him down a small street; confused by where they were going, he decided to ask, but she ignored his words dragging her deeper into the back roads. That's when he saw the recently closed ice skating rink. She pulled him closer and closer to the building, and he stopped forcing her to stop as well.

"What." She explained, confused by his motion to stop.

"Didn't that close last year." She smiles at his comment and walks backwards away from it.

"I've learnt over my concise lives that just because something has closed doesn't mean you can't use it." She smiles sweetly at him and, taking a few more steps backwards, says the words. "So, are you coming?" Without hesitating, he follows her to the side of the building.

Abigail's hair held several hair grips and bands, keeping it in half up and half down style and on the messy side. She pulled out one of the many grips in her hair, making some of it fall around her shoulders. She walks up to a little door on the side of the building and places her grip on the lock, moving it around until a little click is made.

The two of them walk into the deserted building, and Abigail flicks the switch; only a handful of the lights turn on; the rest are broken. Abigail leads the way to the unkempt ice rink, and she leads against the barrier. Toby followers her over, and his eyes flicker onto the slightly broken ice. It was freezing in her, and neither of them could understand why there was so much wasted energy going on in this building. 

"Perfection is overrated."  She says with a smile on her face. Toby moved closer, standing in front of her and saying the words.

"You thought it was boring, don't you." She nods her head, not afraid, to be honest. "Look, I am sorry it is just a while since I've been on a date." She shrugs her shoulders before taking a deep breath and stepping on the ice.

The date wasn't perfect, but it didn't matter. It was a moment when Abigail could be ordinary; that is all that mattered. She didn't have to think about those around her who were dead or about her past; she could just put on a brave face and smile sweetly at him because this was the last week of the little group's life before they came to the point of no return.