[twenty-six] if you fall I will catch you

jungkook's focus

though it was late, the small town hospital was surprisingly busy. it was a saturday night after all, and dimwitted drunks who got into fights came piling into the tiny hospital bearing all sorts of injuries.

a dripping wet jungkook strode in a hurry carrying a shear bag filled to the brim with unnecessary items which he hoped cheered taehyung up. he rushed to the reception desk not caring he brought most of the weather in with him. the receptionist was unrecognisable, he grimanced at the sight of jungkook looking him up and down.

"can I help-"

"I'm here to visit mr. kim taeh- " jungkook's eyes widened, "-sorry, I mean mr. zhang wei" he finished hastily, sweat mixing with the rainwater on his forehead.

the receptionist took no notice of jungkook's suspicious stutter and looked at him with a bored expression. "sorry, visiting times are over. come back tomorrow between 1PM to 4PM" the receptionist pointed his eyes, "-and perhaps try and wear dry clothes" he gave jungkook a sarcastic smirk.

"no!" jungkook brought his hands up to his head with exasperation. "you can't- I need to see him now!"

the receptionist looked up with tiredness in his eyes "look dude, I'm only doing my job" he shrugged, "come back tomorrow"

"you don't understand! I have to see him" jungkook slammed his fists onto the counter causing the receptionist to jerk back. tears of frustration formed in jungkook's eyes.

"woah woah chill dude" the receptionist had now stood up, "if you're that desperate, take this key for the back door. it's the white one with two windows on each sides." the receptionist lowered his tone and stared into jungkook's eyes urging him to understand. "it didn't come from me, ok?"

jungkook nodded in agreement holding his hand out desreetly. jungkook took notice of the receptionist's badge which read 'daz'. he felt the cold piece of metal on his hand and clasped tightly.

"thanks daz" jungkook nodded and darted to the exit without a second glance.

the automatic doors whooshed open and jungkook felt a blast of cold air smack his face in an instant. the wind howled as humongous raindrops continued to hammer down like bolts. jungkook didn't even bother to put his already soaked hood up. the bitter cold bit his ears turning them a flushed red as he scrambled down the short alleyway hastily.

the back door was as daz had said. he ducked under the windows in case he was spotted by a doctor, and crept towards the door.

the door unlocked with a soft click and swung open. jungkook could hear the low chatter of patients in their wards and doctors discussing confidential matters lowly.

it wasn't difficult to find taehyung's as the hospital only had so many rooms. behind the shear blinds, jungkook could spot taehyung's face from a mile away. he lay peace fully in an upright position. jungkook watched as his chest rose up and down slowly. jungkook's heart swelled as he noticed the wires stuck to his bare chest.

jungkook could feel his throat tighten as he stifled the urge to sob. he took a deep breath and twisted the knob of the door with care.

the room smelt strongly of antiseptic equipment and a constant beep ensuring taehyung's life was quietly pulsating.

taehyung lay still, half covered in a thin fabric.

so peaceful. jungkook thought. if only I hadn't dragged taehyung into this mess with me.

jungkook noticed a seat on taehyung's left which jungkook dashed to, not taking his eyes off taehyung.

it was getting onto midnight and jungkook dared not to make a sound in case he woke taehyung. so jungkook merely stared at him, noticing the boy's delicate features. the way his smooth nose curved into his face, his golden tanned skin which glowed in the moonlight, almosted looked surreal. the way his long eyelashes fanned out like a feather and fluttered when he blinked, the way his cheeks would get all hot and flustered when he was embarrassed. and his smile. his smile. the way his eyes would crinkle at the sight of a cat.