2

The usual 8:00 alarm awoke me for school. I take a shower and put on my day clothes. "Freedom of thought", something I'd dare not say out loud but had on the edge of my lips when I woke up.

         "Where have I heard this phrase?" I was yet to remember.

         My block was a two room establishment with a kitchen and bathing area in one and my bed in the other. It looked quite new compared to most blocks, but still not nearly as nice and pristine as the ones you'd find near the heart of the town where I heard that the O men live. Of course it wouldn't be. I have a single dish to eat from with one fork, knife, and spoon. I live alone and it is highly unusual for people to have guests. I never cared for having guests anyways. I have one cupboard for my boxed foods and a fridge with only two shelves big enough to hold groceries for one person. It's a waste for someone living alone to need anything more. besides, it's much too expensive - especially for someone as young as me. My bed is simply a very thick mattress that lays on the floor with a rickety bedside table where the visor sits. The visor monitors you and acts as an alarm clock.

THE TRANSPORT VEHICLE ARRIVES IN 30 MINUTES.

         Getting my things ready I get the feeling that I'm being watched, not just by the visor, but by an actual person. I've become used to feeling watched by the visor, but this is different. This feels almost menacing as opposed to the usual complacency of the visor. I turned quickly towards the window just in time to meet eyes with a figure, slender and uniform before it goes off.

         My blood ran cold. "I have nothing to hide" I began to repeat to myself again "I have nothing to hide. I have nothing to hide I was just imagining it." I attempted to reassure myself.

         I took a deep breath, grabbed my keys, my school's official satchel, and my coat, and quickly left my block, but not without locking it first. I turned in my block key and hurried to the transport station.

THE TRANSPORT VEHICLE ARRIVES IN 5 MINUTES

         I'm waiting at the station and I notice people eyeing me, not so much with judgement, more so with complacent concern. Again I begin to worry. I worry a lot because I fear I know too little. I look at my clothes and make sure nothing was out of place, I was holding everything I always hold, I was wearing my day clothes properly, my hair was in the state approved bun, I didn't see the problem. I decided to take a closer look at the public and I felt the air run cold. I had forgotten.

         It was the 18th anniversary of the O Men State, and I wasn't wearing the Respect pin.

         Shit.

         I truly believed in that moment that this was the end for me, I would be recognized as a national disgrace, a traitor, I'd be done away with and no one would bat an eye. Not even my parents, not that they cared to begin with, they were simply paired and told to have the minimum state requirement of 3 children, which they have. I felt deep inside that something was intrinsically wrong with this system, but couldn't figure out what. I fear that I know too little.

         "Sorry miss? You dropped this."

         I whipped around but all I could register was those same sinister eyes from this morning and a Respect Pin on my collar. She gave me the pin and seemingly vanished. I was utterly terrified, and yet, even more so relieved. I had a pin. The eyes of the public eased up once they noticed the pin.