Chapter 10

We thought the tales led to Sauron's return, yet we could never have anticipated what it really was.

::::::::::

L U M O R N E L

::::::::::

No!

From high up in the bare tree, I could plainly see my ambushed pack on the path. The foods stores had been completely demolished, every morsel, except for maybe a few crumbs, had been eaten. My roll of bandages had been strewn about, their cleanliness ruined by the path's dirt. The thought of putting those dirty bandages on my wounds made me shiver. Blood oozed down my shoulder, warm blood melded with the cloth of my shirt. Every time I moved my arms wrong, the wound would break open, oozing more blood. The uur rauko's claws had ripped through my shirt and chest binding. I could feel the underclothing slipping under my shirt. And—

My journal was safe. In the uur rauko's search it had been tossed aside, open to a random entry with my small supply of elleth needs keeping it open. A muddy, animalistic footprint marred the page and a claw had ripped an obvious tear. But it wasn't shredded.

I held my breath and scoured the area, letting my eyes rove around and my ears to pierce every sound. The evergreen trees clashed in the wind, the bare branches of hibernating trees clanked, those around me threatening to sweep me off. After an extended moment of time, no dark creatures came padding into view. I didn't think the uur rauko were smart enough to lay a trap so I dropped from the tree, landing lightly on the cold ground, my wounds stinging.

And froze.

Listened.

Twigs swayed overhead but didn't crack on the forest floor.

Cautiously, I crept towards my scattered belongings.

All my food is gone. My water canteen is ruined.

No more water.

I clenched my fists to keep them from shaking. No food. No water.

Going without sustenance, and then suddenly having it, my ability would break me like it did this morning. The landscape was dangerous, steep and rough. Monsters lurked in the shadows. How would I stay strong without f—

I'll just have to hunt—like I have been.

But water. How would I find water? How wo—

Stop.

Breathe.

I closed my eyes, nearly biting my tongue off.

Okay, okay. I can do this.

The sun shined through the trees. How long had I been running from the uur rauko? Noon had long since passed.

I stooped, hissing through my teeth and gathered my things. Then I stepped off the beaten path.

A stream would never run across a trade route. Or at least I hope so, otherwise I could be making an idiot's move—

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if I was. I bit my lip, fighting off a smile.

But a stream had to be out here somewhere. Oh if only I could have the animals lead me to water.

I noted where the sun was shining through the trees. West. And I need to be going North East. The Western Hope can't be too far away... I hope. I only saw trees and dirt and old, decaying leaves and not any sign of people. My shoulder felt like tenderized meat, my back like cut steak. Every step made my shirt shift, grating against the clawed wounds. The blood... and no clean bandages.