Chapter 35

:::::::

L U M O R N E L

:::::::

I warily eyed the crowd of people milling about Market Hall. Many had noticed my presence and so avoided this small section of the long hall, giving us a wide berth as they passed. Even if no one noticed me, I was still sure I would have hated being in such a crowded place.

Next to me, Sunngifu glanced at the moving crowd and shook her head. "They're all idiots. Just ignore them." She went back to her task of knitting. Blankets were in high demand and so as the temperature outside dropped, Sunngifu's job increased in importance.

"I can't just ignore them," I muttered, sitting on a padded quilt that Sunngifu had made. These seemed popular in the area. Market Hall wasn't truly a market place, though some people did exchange items here on lightweight tables, it was more of a social gathering place. An area where people brought great big stuffed blankets to sit on and gossiped while they worked. Expectantly, everyone here was working on something small; knitting blankets, sewing, polishing swords, and anything else that could be done for an army inside this enormous room.

Though many were focused on their tasks and conversations, they still managed to cast me expressions of either worry, fear, or outright hate. It made me almost wish I had refused Legolas's proposition this morning.

After we awoke, Legolas had wanted to begin a recovery from his fear, so I had sent a letter to Sunngifu asking if we could meet. I would spend a few hours with Sunngifu, and her mother and daughter whenever they got here, while Legolas tried to relax without my presence.

'I'm terrified I'm going to repeat my mistake from the battle of Morannon,' he had said. 'I'll wander too far away from you and you'll become hurt. And I can't live with myself knowing that you could become hurt because I wasn't there.'

Oh, Legolas.

But honestly, it was a relief he was taking steps to abate his fear. I loved him, but I needed time away from him too.

"Get ready," Sunngifu warned. "They're here."

Sure enough, I saw an aged Sunnwyn weaving between the throngs of people. Her eyes lit up as they saw me and her face—more wrinkled than I remembered—broke into a grin. And on her heels was a young girl in trousers, hair a dark brown, her eyes blue and wide and oh so curious. She bounced as she saw me and a giddy grin broke out on her youthful face. Nine years old. And her mother still refused to tell me her name.

Gifu sighed, though there was a smile on her lips. "She's going to fawn all over you. Sorry about that, I may have spoken too highly of you."

I stood, unable to contain my giddy smile. As soon as the two were upon us, Sunnwyn engulfed me in a hug.

"Eru be praised," Sunnwyn cried. "It is wonderful to see you again! And alive!"

I giggled and held her tight. "It's good to see you too!"

She held me at arm's length, her face becoming motherly. "You have much to tell us."

I bit my lip but nodded.

And then she stepped aside, fondly looking at the child. "My granddaughter has been waiting to meet you."

The girl stared up at me with wide eyes, a huge grin on her face. "Hello."

"Hi."

Gifu sighed. "Go ahead and introduce yourself, daughter."

The kid nodded once, business-like, and outstretched her hand. Bemused, I took it.