Nightmares

"Peyton? Peyton! Wake up!" A man called out to me.

I felt my emotions snap back into my control as I sat up. My eyes opened wide as I flailed about on the couch, trying to fight off the nightmare I'd just been in. I would have fallen to the floor, if John hadn't been there to catch me, grabbing me by the waist. I looked frantically around the room, trying to focus on what was around me. When I was fully awake, I took a deep breath, and looked John in the eye.

"I'm sorry, but I had to wake you. You were screaming, and I thought you were in pain. And when I got closer, I could sense the fear and pain you were in. What's going on, Peyton? Are you alright?" John asked as he slid his hands up my back, giving me goosebumps, and eventually bringing his hands to my shoulders.

I broke eye contact with him to look out a window, noticing the sun rising outside. I had to have been asleep for almost a full day. I hadn't slept that long in my entire life. Sighing, I faced him once again. Rubbing my shoulders, he smiled sympathetically.

"Did I hurt you? I can push my own pain into others. I hope I didn't hurt you." I muttered, trying to scoot away to look him over.

He shook his head, and pulled me back in to wipe a tear from my cheek. "It wasn't the pain that scared me. It was the fear you were exuding. Do you want to tell me about it?" He asked gently.

I nodded slowly, gathering my still scattered thoughts. "It's always the same nightmare. I had a daughter, Connie. Sentinel Services took her after she was born. I was alone, and they decided I was unfit to raise a child. Anyway, she died in a car accident about a month after she was born. The foster mother had been drinking, and she wrapped the car around a telephone pole.'

'My nightmare is about that night. I always fight to get to Connie, but watch her die instead. I know pain, so I can imagine how much she was hurting. She was just a baby and she died, because I'm a mutant, and apparently that was damning enough to take my child and give her to an obvious drunk. I never even got to hold her..."

I shook my head, and stood trying to get away from him, taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I don't know why I told you that. I should get going. I'm sure there is plenty to do around here."

John grabbed me by the hands, and gently lowered me back onto the couch. "It's barely six in the morning. Most everyone is still asleep. There's absolutely nothing you need to do right now. Rest, Peyton, you just got out of Hell. Even if you don't want to sleep, take it easy."

I nodded, and gently slipped my hands out of his. I went to lay down, and John covered me in a blanket. I looked from John, to the blanket, and back again, a quizzical frown spreading across my face.

John rubbed the back of his neck as he said, "I...I watched you wander in here earlier, and thought you must have fallen asleep, a-and I knew you didn't have any supplies, so I brought you some... anyway."

"Thank you, Proudstar." I muttered.

"Yeah, uh, there are clothes there, too, so you don't have to wear the prison uniform anymore. They should fit..." he whispered, glancing at a stack of clothes.

I smiled as John nodded, and stood to leave. When he was a distance away, I heard him whisper, "I'm an idiot..."

I chuckled as I rolled my eyes. He was embarrassed, but I didn't need powers to know that. Pulling the blanket around my shoulders. I closed my eyes, hoping that the dreams would stay away.