You Call That A Plan?

"So, we just grab him, do a little mood adjustment, and get him to retract his mutant registration plan, and we all go home? Greeeeat..." I groaned, as I jumped up on the kitchen counter.

The party of John, Marcos, Lorna, Clarice, a man with an eye patch and the Strucker Family glanced around at each other. I hated that these, our leaders, were all so anxious about our plan. Marcos groaned as he approached me.

"This guy is not going to be around here for very long. After the funeral, he'll be back in the Capitol, behind heavy security, and then he presents his plan moments after he gets back. This is our only chance." Marcos said as he folded his arms across his chest.

"I understand, and I'll do it. The only problem I have is with security. Yes, you can blind them, and John can kick the ass of anyone that tries to stop us. But, what if Sentinel Services shows up, and they have the drones? I want to be brave here, but I can't go back to being a lab rat, I just can't." I replied with a tense voice.

John came to sit by my side, and patted my knee. "We're not going to leave you unprotected. We've got your back through it all. I'm also not leaving your side for a moment. Besides, it's not the plan to grab him. We just get you close, and you alter his feelings towards us," he gestured to the whole group, "hopefully without him knowing it. Then we disappear. They won't be able to trace it back to anyone. We're all in the clear. It's not without risks if someone recognizes us, but it's basically fool proof."

"Then maybe I should go alone. That way they won't recognize any of you. I mean, I was just a lowly mutant from Trask Industries. You guys, you're the faces of the mutant underground, everyone knows you. The only people that know me are the ones that shop at the Savemart in Nashville, where they assumed I would run and hide. I mean, they weren't wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that I am the least most recognizable one of us all. And you can lay in wait if I need rescuing." I said as my hands trembled. I didn't like my idea, but it made the most sense.

"Stop. We're going with you. It's the only way we do things, we don't go off on our own. Too many bad situations have come from us doing things alone. Okay, so, enough of that." Marcos said as he glared at me. "We have plans in place if something goes wrong, you don't have to play the martyr, Peyton. Besides, didn't you just say you didn't want to go back to a lab? If you go in there alone, that is exactly where you'll end up." Marcos said as he shook his head, like it was the most absurd thing he had ever heard.

John rolled his eyes at Marcos as he sighed, "What Marcos is trying to say is, it's not your burden to bear, we have to be there, too. We aren't going to leave you to fend for yourself, especially when we have no clue what we're walking into. I mean, this is a Washington business man's funeral we are talking about. He had his hand in more cookie jars than even he knew. So, we all go, and we watch each other's six. And if they bring hounds or sentinels to the party, we run like hell. Okay, so, do we understand our roles in this?"

I glanced up at him, realizing he was talking to me. "Oh! Uh, yes, I understand. So, we're doing this?"

Marcos nodded, saying, "Yeah, we're doing this. Tomorrow morning, seven o'clock, meet at the cars. I trust you can be dressed and ready by then."

I nodded, and went to reply, but John gave my leg a not so gentle squeeze. I closed my mouth, and Marcos gave me a nod, and started off towards the door. I turned my head towards John, and slid his hand off my knee, before standing. He sighed before he followed, grabbing my hand, and rubbing slow circles along the skin.

"So, do you want any of us there, to help just in case?" Lauren Strucker asked, as she approached John and I.

I glanced at John, who said, "You know what, maybe we should have you and Clarice there. We can keep you two at a distance. And portal you in, if things go south." John smiled at Lauren, and moved towards Clarice. "Is that alright, Clarice? We could really use a badass back up plan."