Chapter 6- KARAOKE

**************************
Walking into Becca's studio apartment, I'm greeted by the sound of Mason belting out 🎶Sweet Caroline, ba-ba-ba. Good times never seemed so good 🎶

I waste no time joining in on the fun, yelling and fist pumping, "so good, so good, so good!"

Mason Barnes is the husband of my close friend Hannah, and she's a fellow Georgia peach. Her and Mason make an adorable couple. They're like Pooh and Tigger, only with a lot more PDA.

Hannah is sweet, lovable, and enjoys sitting around eating stuff she proclaims she probably shouldn't. Mason, on the other hand, is bouncing off the walls with energy. He has two speeds...warp...or asleep. I love Mason, but after a full evening with him I'm usually exhausted. He has the energy of a sugar infused five-year-old chugging Red Bull's.

"Emmy!" Mason yells, after abandoning the mic, and trapping me in a bear hug. He's all sweaty from his enthusiastic performance, and it's like embracing a wet wipe.

"How's the newest member of the corporate finance world?" Mason asks, and everyone's attention is focused on me.

I wriggle out of his grasp, shrieking, "Yuck, now my new shirt is covered in your sweat."

"Sweating is good for the skin, that's what gives me my healthy glow," Mason jokes, and wipes his moist forehead with his sleeve.

"Come on, tell us about the new job," Mason's sister, Olivia, chimes in.

I absolutely adore Olivia. She's one of those people who is always in a good mood. Everyone likes her, and she likes everyone. Olivia is the 'Switzerland' of people, queen of the neutral zone. Also, she laughs at everything. If you have a problem with Olivia, take a long, hard look in the mirror, because I'm betting the problem lies with you.

"What I think Olivia is trying to get at..." Becca begins. "...is that we want to know all about this new handsome boss of yours."

"No," Olivia protests, as she swivels on her stool. "I actually wanna know how you like your new job, not boss. Becca said the pay is awesome."

"Yeah the pay is ah•maze•ing," I draw out. "And so far the work is pretty straightforward clerical stuff. And yes, there is a little office eye candy. But I'm trying to distract myself from it. I'm thinking of starting this new thing, where every time I gawk at him, I pinch myself really hard. Like my own twisted version of Pavlov's dog."

"Hmmm...so instead of a bell and a treat, ogle your boss and get a pinch?" Mason simplifies for everyone. "I like this self-destructive approach."

My plan sounded way more rational in my head. Mason's agreement is making me rethink the future effectiveness. Two rules to follow in connection with Mason Barnes: never take him shopping, or you'll come back penniless with stuff you didn't need. And: if Mason says it's a good idea, nope, it's not. Just trust me on this. Unless you want to end up in the back of a cab in Connecticut, with a homeless man dressed as a cowboy, and a basket full of puppies. A very long, very true story...

"I just finished work, so I'd rather not spend all night talking about it," I plead with my group of friends and sum up. "New job good, money good, Emmy happy...now who's up next?"

I stare around the room at my little group of misfits, and can't help but smile. Besides Becca, my bestie, along with Mason and Hannah, and sweet Olivia, tonight's Karaoke extravaganza is attended by Dara and her husband Brix. Not his real name, but his real name is a mystery neither him nor Dara will give up. We have Sherlock Holmes'ed it, and still nothing. We went as far as stealing the man's wallet. (Not my proudest moment) Needless to say, the sheer joy he gets from us dying to know, is enough to keep his real name locked away like Fort Knox.