Part 4

"How do I get in?" Amelia asked herself. She grabbed her phone from her pocket and started an
toddler's app and gave it to Kenneth. She set the baby down on the ground and picked the padlock.

Click

"Got it." The blonde muttered. She carried the baby and entered the empty house. She turned on the lights and closed the door behind her.

She glanced at a picture on the wall.

Their family picture...

She looked away, not wanting to remember the incident. She went upstairs to their room. She shut the door behind her and put the baby down so she can be able to pack their things. She looked at her brother one more time to see him looking at the microfiber carpet in confusion and started to pack. 

~~~~

After packing, Amelia had her backpack on and carried her brother out of the room. She went downstairs to go to the kitchen. She was about to put her brother down but she remembered that Kenneth can easily climb up chairs and might fall off and the slight chance that he might find some knives or sharp objects, and the chance he might wonder into the bathroom and slip. She closed the bathroom first, pushed the chairs so the seats are under the table, and hid the utensils away. After checking if the area was baby-proof, she finally put her brother down. She opened the refrigerator and took the food out and placed them on the table. She checked the expiration dates of the food before putting it in her backpack. She looked at the vegetables. Oh, how she disliked those vegetables, but she had no choice, beggars can't be choosers. She grabbed the vegetables and put it in the backpack too. After she took the food she and her brother needed, she picked her brother up and went upstairs to her parents' room. She closed the door behind her and put her brother down. She went to her mother's work desk and opened the gray box, revealing the stacks of bills her mother kept away. She hesitated for a second, knowing that it was not hers to take. But her parents won't need it where they are now. This was a hard choice for her. She sat there and stared at the gray box, not knowing what to do.