Part 5

After thinking it through, Amelia opened the box and took the money it contained. She noticed something on the wall and she walked over to see it was a picture of her and her siblings. It was placed right infront of her parent's bed, so they can always see it. "Aww." Amelia thought. She opened the drawers to see if there was anything useful. She saw crumpled pieces of paper and letters. Tears escaped from her eyes as she picked the papers up and examined them. It was her old drawings that she threw away when she was younger. She remembered that she threw them away because she would never get to draw well. She remembered that her mother would take her to arts workshop during the summer, and her mother would take the family out for lunch. Then afterwards, they would watch a movie together and tell stories.  Amelia put the papers back inside the drawer and wiped her tears, but they don't seem to stop coming. Another memory came to her; it was when she and her family moved here. She and Bethany would gawk at the children playing and riding their bikes or scooters. She remembered that they asked her parents if they could buy her one as well. At the end of the school year, her parents bought them two bikes. Everyday, after doing homework and studying, Amelia and Bethany would be riding their bikes around the subdivision along with their new friends. "M-Mother. . Father. . Beth. . ."

After everything that she and her family went through, why did they have to leave this quickly?

After reminiscing the memories, she picked her brother up, turned the lights off, then left the room. She walked down the hall, to her and her sister's room. She turned the lights on and put Kenneth down on her bed. She looked for another bag to put her clothes in. She peeked around the room and spotted her sister's drawstring bag, Amelia opened the cabinet and put her and Kenneth's clothes inside the drawstring bag. She decided to take her sister's clothes just in case Kenneth ran out of clothes to wear. She took the spare flashlight and whistle Bethany always kept under her bed in case something happens. While doing so, she remembered the time her sister lectured her about how preparing is important.

"Hey, it's important! Accidents might happen and we need to be prepared because we don't know what will happen and- are you listening?"

 "Yeah, yeah. I heard you."

"Don't draw while I'm giving a lesson."

"I'm not- ahhh noo, I'm getting beaten up with a pillow. Ahh the pain. . ."

"Are you girls getting along?"

"Yes Father!"

"Okay okay. You're right, Beth."

"Hahaha! As always."

"Haha. . she was always prepared for anything. I bet she would be prepared at a time like this." Amelia thought. After she put the items she took in the bag, she looked at Kenneth, who was now sleeping on the bed. Amelia smiled at her brother's cute face, for it always made her and her family happy even in their darkest days. She remembered the times her brother would suddenly dance or say some words, then look at her and her family, smiling awkwardly. She remembered the times her brother would hug her legs and she would lift him up and tickle him.  A few tears escaped from her eyes and she wiped them away. "It's painful to know that the people that we make memories with, ends up as a memory."  Amelia thought. Because of that thought, she decided to take her diary and sketch pad with her, at least she can do something to pass the time in the streets. After making sure she got all she needed, she carried her sleeping brother, turned off the lights, and left the room. She walked down the stairs into the living room. She put her brother down and checked the stuff in the bags to make sure she didn't miss anything. After taking some items she forgot before, and making sure that no one can suspect she and her brother were still alive, Amelia left the room. She didn't want to end up in an orphanage with her brother, with the fear of them separating and never seeing each other again. "I know how to raise Ken on my own." She muttered as she walked down the empty road. Her neighbors were already sleeping so she felt relieved that no one will see them, or else they might blow her cover. She was already approaching the entrance of the subdivision, when she saw the guard.

"Okay, I'll just get out like how I got in. Yeah, I can do this." Amelia thought as she picked up a small rock. When the right moment struck, she threw the rock and lured the guard away from the post.

"Good. Things are going well." Amelia said to herself as she snuck out.

"Hey kid! Where are you going?!"

"Geez!" Amelia squeaked as she ran away. A few footsteps followed her but stopped after a little while. She thought she got away from the guard. But she wouldn't do those kinds of things again. She's not taking any chances. The guard stopped running after her. Instead, he called his authorities and reported about a runaway girl with an infant. This would make things harder of poor Amelia. The next thing she knew, her brother was being taken away from her by a family or some sort. Possible scenarios flooded her head until she entered the same alleyway she and her brother hid from the adults this afternoon. "I guess we have to settle here, won't we, Ken?" She looked down at the sleeping boy in her arms. She smiled to herself; atleast she isn't alone. She put her backpack down and rested her brother's head on it. She looked around and sighed. "I guess I have work to do tomorrow." 

~ ~ ~

"Hannah, Emi's already asleep." Elliott said as he entered the kitchen. "That's good. She has school tomorrow and she needs to prepare. Are her things ready?" Hannah asked as she was washing the dishes. "She prepared them before she went to bed." The man answered. "Oh, I see." After she put the last plate on the dishwasher, Hannah looked outside the window. She thought about the children she saw, who she and Elliott ran around the city to look for. She was concerned for them. Where are they going to live? Are their relatives going to take care of them? Did they return to their home safely. She was pulled out of my thoughts when she felt two arms wrap around my waist. Hannah looked over at the man resting his chin on her shoulder.

"Are you still worried about the kids this afternoon?" He asked, knowing why his wife was acting off since that event. "I guess."

"I don't even know if they're doing okay, or, if they got home safely."

"You worry too much, hun." Elliott placed a kiss on her cheek before letting her go. "Those kids will be fine. If it makes you feel better, why don't we look for them after we take Emily to school?" He offered, hoping it would ease his wife's troubles. "Alright then." Hannah looked over to him. "Thanks, sweetie." She smiled at him and gave him a peck on the lips. "You're welcome." He replied. The two of them went to their bedroom, to get some rest of course.