Chapter 11.

{ Edited - 7th July, 2020 }
{ Edited - 11th April, 2024 }

**Many Years Later**

It's incredible how life can surprise us. I used to fear the unknown, but now I'm living the life I've always yearned for. This new chapter of my life felt like a dream come true with a fresh beginning.

I've gone as far as altering my identity and how I look. Now, I go by Anita Wilde instead of Kira Peregrine. I decided to chop my hair to shoulder length instead of leaving it long.

I recently started working at a place called 'Smart Aid' because I had no other choice and the place I was currently living at, forced me to.

I feel really lucky because I have a place to call home and a school to go to, all in one. It's a special kind of institution that combines a boarding school with an orphanage.... Yes, an orphanage, where all the parentless children go... I will be staying there until I turn 18, unless some adult decides to take me in as their own. As much as I hate to say it.... Adoption.

BUT... It's not at all bad here. First of all, there were no ymbrynes to deal with. Instead, you had regular folks as your teachers and supervisors. They don't constantly hover over you because you have some unique ability you can't control, they'll only hover over you when you're doing something that you shouldn't.

Back in Germany where I resided with Miss Crow and Miss Raven, I had never experienced a typical school setting before, as the only educational environment I knew was Miss Crow's lessons, but it was mainly about the stupid peculiar world, which doesn't interest me.

Second of all, it was a blessing that we didn't have to live in a loop. Thank god for that.

And third of all, all individuals with families and their own homes were given the opportunity to attend this school. After school ended, they were eligible to return to the comfort of their homes and reunite with their loved ones. Moreover, everything was fine here. It was calm, staff weren't overcontrolling and annoying.

Now, you may be wondering . . . 'how did I get here', specifically now? Well, after the boat ride ended, the transport officer was already at the docks, ready to inspect everyone's tickets. As soon as they laid eyes on me, they noticed my bruises and injuries, which were causing me immense pain.

They assumed I had just gotten away from a kidnapper or escaped from family domestic abuse, so as a precaution, they decided to take me to the hospital nearby rather than send me back. Thank god for that.

When I was at the hospital, the police asked me questions, but I remained silent and didn't respond with words or gestures to their questions. I was deemed a mute. I was a fascinating case they had chosen to work on, yet they continue to pester me with questions to this day. I am hesitant to respond, fearing I may be sent back to Germany or a mental facility. Let's be real, if I had to define what an Ymbryne is, or the specific kind of peculiar children I resided within a house full of them, I might sound crazy to them.

Normals, including Mr. Baker, can be incredibly complex to comprehend. I genuinely feel sorry for him because sometimes understanding him can be quite a challenge. Once I had completely healed, I was discharged from the hospital and transferred to an orphanage boarding school thing. It was at this school that I truly felt at ease for the first time in a long while, they taught valuable life skills like swimming and driving cars.

 It was at this school that I truly felt at ease for the first time in a long while, they taught valuable life skills like swimming and driving cars