Chapter 13

{ Edited - 21st July, 2020 }
{ Edited - 12th April, 2024 }

I was immediately drawn to a particular photo. I carefully removed it from the old, cracked glass frame and saw a familiar face - my mother, posing with her wards that she left me for.

 I carefully removed it from the old, cracked glass frame and saw a familiar face - my mother, posing with her wards that she left me for

It seems like my mother hasn't aged at all, even though she's changed up her clothing and hairstyle. Then a thought clicked - Jake's grandfather is involved with the peculiar world... and if he knows Miss Peregrine... then the girl he's looking for is me... I looked over to Jake, trying to see anything that made him look like he had a peculiarity.

As I observed Jake, I noticed a hint of panic in his demeanour. However, taking advantage of his distraction, I discreetly folded the photo and tucked it away in my shirt pocket. Just as I glanced back at Jake, something else managed to capture my interest.

I noticed that the back screendoor had been torn open. To grab Jake's attention, I clapped my hands loudly until Jake looked over to where I was, and then I pointed towards the damaged door. Jake's eyes grew wide with astonishment as he fixated on the door, seemingly unable to comprehend what lay before him. Frankly, I too found it difficult to believe my own eyes. Without hesitation, he took a step towards the door, and I instinctively trailed closely behind him.

As we locked eyes for a brief moment, I shifted my gaze towards the door and then directly to the backyard. To my surprise, I noticed that the fence had been torn apart... What the ever-loving crap happened here? Surely Jake's grandfather isn't capable of this? Right? Unless it was his peculiarity? That I do not know of.

I gently took hold of Jake's arm and led him towards the torn screendoor. I pointed towards the fence, indicating that we should go check it out, we stepped through the broken flyscreen door one by one.

  I had a feeling that Jake and I were taking a risk, my mind was urging me to find a way to protect ourselves. Then, it hit me - I had a weapon in my car. So, I stopped and turned to him and mouthed the word 'wait here'. I spun around and dashed back indoors, weaving through the scattered furniture on the floor. I sprinted out the door, rushed to my car, unlocked it, flung open the door, and grabbed my gun and phone.

I locked the car, dashed inside, jumped out through the flyscreen door, and then hurried outside to catch up with Jake. Together, we made our way to the damaged fence.

 In a moment of panic and anxiety, I grabbed Jake's wrist and passed him the gun, the forest ahead of us started to cloud up with fog, and my thoughts filled with dread at the thought of something is lurking in the woods and something was gonna die tonight.

I just know it.