Chapter 23

{ Edited - 22nd Sep, 2020 }
{ Edited - 20th April, 2024 }

I found myself crawling backwards towards Jake, who was standing near the door. I had gotten way too close to this person, and it made me uncomfortable. As soon as she turned around and saw us, she abruptly stopped and her angry expression vanished.

She had her hair elegantly styled in an updo, looking neat and polished. Her eyes were piercing and maintained a striking blue colour. Her complexion was fair, with pale skin that added to her ethereal beauty. Her nails were long and well-manicured. She was dressed in a captivating dark navy blue ensemble. As our eyes met, I couldn't help but freeze in awe. Jake tried to help me up, and together we took a step back, ensuring the woman had enough personal space.

Jake and I were startled by a sudden knock, so we quickly moved to the opposite side of the room to ensure we were far from the door. All eyes were on the door as it opened, revealing the girl who had attempted to harm us before. As soon as she laid eyes on us, she made a move to attack Jake and me. Nothing new out of the usual by now.

I channelled my anger once again, prepared to strike at anyone who dared to approach me or Jake. "Back off!" I warned. "You had your fun, you placed your damage onto us, I'm giving you a chance to back off before I strike you!" I threatened.

"Get away from her then!" She angrily gestured at the woman standing on the sidelines.

All of a sudden, everything changed unexpectedly. The Ymbryne standing in front of us abruptly positioned herself between me and Jake, turning her back towards us. "Emma, the dishes needs to be done right away." The one and only Miss Peregrine spoke, her words were as potent as venom, impossible to disregard.

"What?! That pest nearly killed me?!" Emma pointed in my direction.

"You pulled a knife out on us and nearly killed us on the spot!" I snapped back.

"You threw a knife at my hand!!!" she yelled as she raised her hand to show her wound.

"Yeah, 'cause you were about to stab me and a friend of mine!" I barked back.

Emma abruptly went silent, her gaze fixed on me with a lot of hatred before she spun around and left the room. Just as I was about to take a seat on the chair behind me, I unexpectedly plummeted straight through it. With a loud thud, I landed on the floor. When I glanced back, there was no sign of the chair ever existing.

I sprang to my feet when Miss Peregrine headed to the door, shutting and locking it behind her. She then glanced at us, narrowing her eyes in suspicion. Her doubts seemed to be growing, but I was confident she wouldn't recognize her own daughter standing before her...

"Could you please disclose your name?" She asked. I glanced over at Jake and then back at Miss Peregrine. I noticed her staying on her side of the room.

"Jake Portman" he introduced himself with a proud smile.

"Anita Wilde," I lied as I conjured a smile across my face. I saw Jake give me a look and his smile faded into a look of confusion.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Portman and Miss Wilde. I am Headmistress Peregrine. However, if you so choose, you may refer to me as Miss Peregrine since you are not my current wards. It is a pleasure to meet both of you." Miss Peregrine grinned while extending a gloved hand towards me. Jake and I both shook her hand. "It is my understanding that you are the grandson of Abraham Portman, no" She raised a brow at Jake.

"Y-yeah," said Jake, looking a bit gobsmacked.

Miss Peregrine glanced in my direction and gave me a once-over. "Contacted or uncontacted?"

"What?" I said, unsure what she was saying.

"I say uncontacted," Jake and I exchanged a puzzled look, unsure of what was happening. "I apologize for the unfortunate circumstances that have led to our meeting, and I sincerely request your understanding in relation to Miss Bloom." said Miss Peregrine. "She has a certain flair for the dramatic."