Chapter 10.1 - Gifts

"Do you want me to chop off your finger above the ring and slide it off, or below the ring?" Alam asked. His left hand still held Tajar's wrist to stop Sapphire's allure from regaining its hold on Tajar. Alam's right hand held the blade of the stone knife Sapphire had given them above Tajar's finger, which lay flat against the table. His other fingers curled safely out of the way.

"Below," Tajar replied.

"Do you want something to bite into?"

"Good idea."

Alam handed his friend a wooden spoon that lay on the table.

"Thanks, I'm ready" Tajar said and then bit down on the handle of the spoon.

"Aren't you going to look away?" Alam asked.

"Jusht do id," he mumbled past the stick.

"Are you sure?"

"Shtop being shuch a wimp ad jusht do id!" Tajar ordered.

Alam was fast. The blade was sharp. There was a crunch, like chopping through a chicken bone.

Tajar grunted quietly and bit down, but did not shout or scream. Alam instantly felt the allure of Sapphire, which had been flowing from the ring, cease. He let go of Tajar's wrist. Tajar calmly wrapped the clean cloth they had ripped off the bed sheets around his maimed hand. He then picked up his dismembered finger and flicked it into the fireplace.

"My turn," said Alam.

"But you don't get affected by Sapphire. You don't need to do this."

"Yes, she does affect me. I can stop it once I realise what's happening, but I'm affected. Plus, I would be ashamed to leave it on after chopping your finger off. We are brothers after all."

"That's pretty dumb logic, but if you're sure, put your hand on the table," Tajar said. "Spoon?" he offered the piece of wood that he had used moments earlier.

"But it's got your slobber on it," Alam pointed out.

Tajar stepped closer, wiped the spoon dry on Alam's shirt, and then offered it again. "Spoon?"

"Why not?" Alam put it in his mouth and then laid his hand on the table.

Tajar was fast. The knife was sharp. Alam bit down and tried to make even less noise than Tajar had made. He then followed Tajar's example, bound his maimed hand and threw the disconnected finger into the flames.

"Done," Alam said.

"Done," Tajar agreed. "Let's get some sleep." He walked to one of the beds, took off his boots, and climbed into bed.

Alam followed his example. Once in bed he gently formed a fist out of his maimed hand. The gap where his ring finger should have rubbed against his other fingers felt unnatural - blood soaked cloth instead of skin.

What's done is done.

He relaxed and then reformed the fist. The wound was throbbing with pain.

Will I even be able to hold an axe?

Not that I have one.

Yet again he released and reformed the fist.

I'm never going to get used to this.

***

"Wake up!"

Alam's eyes jerked open. He sat up in bed.

Sapphire stood in the middle of the large room. The man and woman in white were feeding the fire and placing food upon the table.