Chapter 11.2 - Smells

"That was a child?" Alam asked.

Tajar swore under his breath as he, Alam and Clarisai rejoined the others in the corridor.

"Where now?" Alam asked Sapphire.

"The fastest way is straight ahead, but because of your clumsiness we will need to find water first and wash you." Her face was screwed up in disgust as she looked at him. "It has been a long time, but I think I can remember the way."

Following Sapphire's instructions, Tajar led the six of them through a tangle of passageways. Alam was hopelessly lost. After a few minutes of walking the only thing he could tell was that they were heading downwards.

At least the sounds of the dargu are getting quieter.

Tajar held up his hand, indicating for them to halt. He cupped his hand over his ear and pointed repeatedly ahead.

Water splashing. And voices.

Curse me for getting my hopes up.

"How many?" Alam whispered.

"I can't tell," Tajar replied.

Damn!

Alam breathed in deep to try to calm the butterflies that suddenly appeared in his stomach.

"We must move on," Sapphire muttered between panting breaths. "We can not pause."

"Fine." Alam padded up to Tajar. "We sneak up and rush them."

"You? Sneak? This I have to see," Tajar whispered while holding his nose.

"Bring the light," Alam whispered back. "Let's hope it will daze them."

Alam and Tajar crouched low and hurried towards the voices and splashing. Clarrisai picked up two fist sized rocks and followed close behind.

The corridor curved ahead of them, obscuring what lay ahead apart from a warm glow that bounced off the wall in front of them.

Light. They have fire.

Alam willed the fury to build inside him as Chief Urlock had taught. He clenched his jaw and pumped his hands, turning the nerves in his gut to rage.

"Forget the sneaking," Alam shook his axe arm. "Let's rush them. Side by side."

Before Tajar could reply Alam took off. He screamed and shouted as loud as he could.

"What's he doing?" Clarisai asked in shock.

Tajar was too busy running to answer. He opened his mouth and screamed as well.

Clarisai rushed after them.

Alam and Tajar rounded the turn in the corridor at full speed and in full voice. Shields raised, weapons circling above their head. The corridor opened into a wide, natural cavern, with a low ceiling and uneven stone floor. In front of them, some thirty paces away, stood five dargu with wide eyes and slack mouths. Their sharp teeth gleamed in the low light. One of them dropped the full bucket it was carrying, spilling water over the stone floor. Behind them an underground lake stretched into the darkness.

Alam came at them screaming. Tajar bellowed at his shoulder

Twenty paces away.

Two of the chest height creatures cowered backwards towards the lake; the torch bearer froze; the fourth dargu placed its bucket on the ground and scrambled to pull a knife out; the fifth shouted something incomprehensible while it drew a long knife and stepped forward. The torch bearer and the one who had put its bucket down responded. They flourished their blades and jumped to either side of their shouting companion.