Lucky Him

/He looks at me and frowns “Wow you’ve gotten tall”/

I stare at him in amazement.

“Are you serious, I haven’t seen you in three years and you’re concerned about my height?!”  I was furious. After the incident in the kitchen 5 years ago he disappeared and never came back.  I assumed my parents got a divorce but I’m never really sure because mom still wears her wedding ring. That causes me to glance down at my dad’s left hand.  There is a ring. They’re still married. Then why has he not come back??

“Evelyn where’s your sister??” He asks me while he reaches in his pocket and takes out his car keys, he must have parked down the street because I didn’t see his car in the driveway when I got home from school.

“She… uhhhh…..I don’t know... She might be at school still, possibly?” I wasn’t ratting out my sister to my dad who I hadn’t seen in 5 years that easily.  

“She has a detention huh” He looks at me straight in the face and smiles. “I used to get detentions all the time for skipping class, I guess it’s just genetics” he shrugs and glances around the room.  I decide to start asking questions.

“Why are you here? Where did you go? Why did you never talk to us? Why is mom always angry at you?! Why would you leave us like that?!?”

“Evelyn, Evelyn, calm down I’ll answer questions later but now we have to go and get your sister right now”  He sounds and looks urgent, his color is flaring then when stops talking it goes back down and whenever there is any noise besides ours he jumps a little and his color quivers. I look him straight in the face for the first time in 5 years.

“You’re lying” I mumble under my breath “Mom doesn’t know you’re here, she doesn’t want you here” right when the words fall from my mouth he looks at me with wide eyes.

“How could you say that??” he takes a step back like he’s hurt or something but I can see right through him.

“Dad please if were to call mom right now you’d probably attack me for the phone”  I say as I smirk at him and slowly pull my  phone out of my back pocket.

“N-no I won’t” he flinches when he sees my phone. With my luck my ringtone goes off and I look at the phone. It’s Layton. I glance at my dad and answer my phone. Without taking my eyes off of my dad I talk to Layton.

“Hey, Layton!” –pause- “Nah I already did it” –pause- “Wellllll you could always come over to my place and I could help you with it!” –pause- “Sure!!  149 Carywood Drive” –pause- “Great, see you in like 2 minutes”   I hang up and slip my phone back into my pocket. My dad stared at me in horror.

“You invited a BOY!?”

“Who cares dad, you shouldn’t, and in fact what gave you the idea that you we’re welcome here?”

“I wa-“

“Actually, just leave, I don’t care why you’re here” I put my hands on my hips and shift to my left side and tilt my head.

“Although I am curious” I raise an eyebrow at him and smirk. I know he’ll tell me, he’s not that bright of a guy after all.  

"uhh... you see..." His eyes dash to the door. Yep, what an idiot, he's going to try and run. He dashes foward to try and get to the door. I smile and nonchalantly swipe my foot out, he trips and slams his face into the carpeted floor, I wanted to get wood flooring when we first moved in, lucky him.