The Idea

“Can you stop bouncing around?! You're worse than a five year old.” Kaycee mildly reprimanded the hyperactive boy next to her.

“I just wanna get off already!” Sean laughed, nor listening to her.

Kaycee couldn’t help rolling her eyes at him affectionately. He can get so excited sometimes, especially when it comes to his family. The two were flying home together for the holidays – a fact met by smirks and playful nudges by her troupe mates (“It's only logical to fly home together, guys!”).

Even Kaycee had to admit, she was excited too. As much as they were learning from the best teachers in the dance industry, they had nothing on their longtime mentors – Tricia, Will, Tessandra, Jojo. And while their parents did visit just two months ago, they still missed their family and friends. They went from being driven around by their parents everyday to classes, to essentially living alone and having only to depend on themselves and each other to get through each week.

They did pretty well, all things considered, Kaycee thought. Sure, they had bumps here and there (no, they do not talk about Ryan or Sean's mystery non-date, which Kaycee made Kenneth pay for). But since then, they fell into a new comfortable rhythm.

They were still very much Sean and Kaycee, just the New York versions. A version that involved grocery shopping, doing homework in coffee shops, and sleepovers in Sean's dorm (“There's no point going back this late. Stop being so stubborn, Kaycee. I know you want me to cook you a real breakfast.”)

“Hurry up, slow poke!” Sean laughed at her, trying to race her out of the terminal.

“Seeeaaaan!” Kaycee’s giggles resounded as she trailed after him, lugging her suitcase behind her. He slowed to a stop and motioned for her to come over, a truce as he waited for her. When she made it to him, he wrapped an easy arm over her shoulder and maneuvered them out.

As they turned the corner, they were met by a sight that made Kaycee scream with joy – Brad and Devon Rice stood by the Arrival Gate, donning matching grins. The petite brunette ran up to her dad and brother, and embdaced the two men. Sean followed closely behind, and received equally warm greetings from the two.

“Man, you look good!” Devon complimented, gripping Sean by the shoulder to give him a proper look. They hadn’t seen each other since Sean and Kaycee left for college. “I hear you've been taking good care of Kaycee?”

“She makes it hard, but I manage.” He shrugged, earning a playful nudge from Kaycee.

“Well, let's get this show on the road. Everyone is dying to see you two.” Brad said, picking up Kaycee's luggage to load it in their car.

Sean stared after them as they started walking off, confused.

“Um, Brad.” He called, making the man turn. “I’m going to head home. My family will be expecting me.”

Brad and Devon exchanged a look. Then the older man turned back to Sean, looking amused. “Where do you think your family is, son?”

“At home…? I think. We didn’t really talk about it. Why?” Seam replied.

Brad chuckled. “Did Kylie not tell you guys? Everyone's at our place. Miya wants to see Kaycee just as much as Laura wants to see you. Now, c'mon. We are having a barbeque, but no one can figure out how you do your steak, so you've got a job waiting for you.”

“Not even a minute and you're already making him cook?” Kaycee joked as the boys loaded their luggage into the car.

“You've been hogging him all to yourself in New York. Learn to share, little sis.” Devon quipped, ruffling her hair.